The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:51:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 watt AM broadcast Transmitter buiding project.  (Read 11145 times)
milton
« on: December 21, 2005, 12:46:58 PM »

Well people, here I am again, now its a nice project that has been in my mind since years ago.
I was contacted by and old radio technician in order to get some plans to build a 100 watt AM broadcast tube transmitter for a local church.
I was looking out the internet for some simple schematics but it looks like theres not much and the ones I got are from amateur radio equipment or very complicated big Broadcast transmitters.
So I decide to let to someone the oportunity to make real a creation of his own design.
Im not as well trained to draw a trasnmitter from the scratch, so if somebody want to help me in this project I gladly accept any help.

Milton
NE4AM

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »

uh...silly question...I wasn't aware that the FCC was issuing new AM BC licenses...is this going to be a pirate operation? 

73 - Dave
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 02:52:03 PM »

He's in Central America.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »

Hi Milton;

Just use a schematic from a plate modulated amateur radio transmitter... Johnson Valiant, etc... there are many diagrams available of 100watt plate modulated transmitters on the internet. Does not have to be from a broadcast transmitter... A heathkit DX100 schematic would be a good choice.. The DX100 was capable of operating on 1.8mhz which is very close to the AM broadcast band. Do a search on Google for "LPB",  they make low power AM broadcast transmitters... probably quite a few available used.

Well people, here I am again, now its a nice project that has been in my mind since years ago.
I was contacted by and old radio technician in order to get some plans to build a 100 watt AM broadcast tube transmitter for a local church.
I was looking out the internet for some simple schematics but it looks like theres not much and the ones I got are from amateur radio equipment or very complicated big Broadcast transmitters.
So I decide to let to someone the oportunity to make real a creation of his own design.
Im not as well trained to draw a trasnmitter from the scratch, so if somebody want to help me in this project I gladly accept any help.

Milton

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:17:47 PM »

I have talked to a few engineers that told me some tertiary transmitters consisted of Viking Valiants, Viking II's, and an ART-13! If you were going to build one for 24/7 use, I would rate the components accordingly. In other words don't use something that is designed for intermittant use, especially when it comes to your power transformers. Or you may opt to do something along the lines of a Class E rig which I'm sure you will get more help here than you could use, which is a good thing Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
milton
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 11:32:40 AM »

Yeah, the idea of using schematics from a valiant or a DX-100 sounds good.
I'll do that.
Thanks a lot for your advice guys.

Milton Grin
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 11:11:50 AM »

Milton, take a look at this site.  The late Jim Cunningham specialized in low power cathode modulated xmtrs.  Maybe you'll get a few ideas from his site. 

Merry Christmas,
Paul K2ORC

http://groups.msn.com/GospelRadio/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Go Duke![/b]
N8ECR
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 09:47:50 AM »

I seem to recall a few articals in Elecrtic radio Mag back about 10 years ago, in-which there was a VikingII being used as a broadcast transmitter in Central America.  And as I recall it worked out pretty good .  The guy incharge made friends with a few amateurs here in the US and kept the transmitter going  for better than a year or more.

I also heard stories of way back in the 60's several BC-610 were sent down to do missinonary work...several want-ads for them and other equipt. appeared in QST, sponcered by Christian groups.  Many of these transmitters were still on the air back in the mid 80's it was presumed. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015