The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:05:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APACHE MOD CURRENT CHANGING  (Read 4271 times)
ve6pg

« on: December 13, 2005, 08:27:18 AM »

...HI FROM TIM...MY APACHE'S MOD CURRENT KEEPS CHANGING..I REPLACED THE POT BELOW THE RIG,TO A POSITION NEAR THE BACK. THE REASON WAS THE STUPID IDEA OF LIFTING UP THE RIG,TO CHANGE THE SETTING...ANYWAY,THE RIG STILL HAS AN ISSUE WHEREAS,TODAY THE CURRENT RESTS AT 50MILS,BUT IT COULD CHANGE FROM DAY TO DAY...40MILS ONE DAY,60-70 MILS THE NEXT....ANY IDEAS?....TNX....SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 09:13:22 AM »

Since your HV is probably stable, I would check the screen and bias voltage and note which seems to be changing the most when you are at 40 ma idle vs 60--70 ma. Have you swapped out the mod tubes?

---Dave  W3NP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 11:59:12 AM »

check with a scope you may be going into ultrasonic oscillation. See if the neighbor's dog barks when the current goes up.
ve6pg

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 05:48:43 PM »

...CANT CHECK THE NEIGHBOUR'S DOG...I KILLED HIM WHEN MY 20V WAS ON 160,AND HE GOT TOO CLOSE TO THE RADIALS...BANG...ZAP...POOCH NO MORE...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 06:39:22 PM »

Tim said:
CANT CHECK THE NEIGHBOUR'S DOG...I KILLED HIM WHEN MY 20V WAS ON 160,AND HE GOT TOO CLOSE TO THE RADIALS...BANG...ZAP...POOCH NO MORE...SK..

Gee Tim, remind me never to pee on your fence while the 20V is on the air Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »

Hi Tim,

A good technique is to get the rig on it's side and key it into a dummy load.  Get out the plasdick end of a screw driver and start tapping all of the components, tube sockets, connections, etc associated with the tubes having the idling current problems. 

Take a VOM and clip lead on to the important points, like Frank said. Bias, bias pot, screen, cathode... check everything for change as you tap around.  This will at least eliminate poor connections or intermitant parts.

Otherwise, you will need to take measurements on all vital points, write them down, and check them all again when the idle current changes to identify the particular area that's changing.

Let us know if this helps. if not, report back.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 08:37:23 PM »

In addition to some of the things already mentioned.
Although the book says set to 50 ma; 40 to 60 won't cause the Apache to go belly up. Dirty meter swtich contacts in the "Mod" setting could change your meter reading each time you switch to it. If the pot you're using is old and/or used, it may need to be cleaned. Meter shunt for mod position might be breaking down. AC line voltage variations will cause the meter to read slightly different. Meter itself may not be swinging freely all the time causing the meter pointer to stop at incorrect readings.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015