The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:45:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL CEO Wants A Happy New Year  (Read 7701 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 02, 2006, 03:05:38 AM »

Novice - HF - Entry - Amateur
ARRL web site, 1/1/06

http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/features/2006/01/01/1/?nc=1

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:35:39 AM »

If Sumner really "wants a Happy New Year," he and his lieutenants ought to figure out why the FCC has been sending out a "chilly reception" for the League's proposals.

His prospects look poor for a Happy New Year, if measured by Newington's likely success in Washington. In fact, Sumner's quote in the website you've linked also applies very well to the existing system of coordinating modes and activities.

It is a proven concept that served the public interest well for 40 years, and is as valid today as ever.

It is a system the group in Newington wishes to abandon.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:47:48 PM »

If Sumner really "wants a Happy New Year," he and his lieutenants ought to figure out why the FCC has been sending out a "chilly reception" for the League's proposals.

His prospects look poor for a Happy New Year, if measured by Newington's likely success in Washington. In fact, Sumner's quote in the website you've linked also applies very well to the existing system of coordinating modes and activities.

It is a proven concept that served the public interest well for 40 years, and is as valid today as ever.

It is a system the group in Newington wishes to abandon.

So are you for or against an entry level Novice Class license like we had years ago? This is the issue being addressed here. FCC hasn't been "proposal friendly" to any group in recent years.
Coordinating modes and activities has been beaten to death; strong arguments on both sides; some with merit; most just pissing in the wind.
[/tt]

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 03:13:44 PM »

Pete said:
....most just pissing in the wind.

And that's about what the ARRgghhL is good for, pissing in the wind!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1MVP
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:19:30 PM »

I am in favor of a so-called "new novice" ticket,--it should have never been
   "deleted" back when the NCT license was initiated,(about 20 years ago)

As far as the FCC not being "proposal friendly" to the ARRL,--might it have
something to do, with the fact, that with  many "blunders"  having been made  over the past 20 years or so,(by the ARRL) and now with this new "re-proposal" for a new novice ticket,the FCC might be saying, "SAY-WHAT", after the deletion of said license 20 years ago.

So is it any wonder the FCC might be questioning "leadership abilty" coming
from Newington?
                                       73, K1MVP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »

Paul, what's with the Courier typeface?
Art
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 03:22:25 PM »

I thought the novice licence was a good thing when I was WN1NER and do now. Novices operating in the novice sub bands with all modes would be a real boost to the hobby. The issue with the ARRL suggestion is that organization has generated so much ill will its endorsement of such a proposal is almost certainly a death sentence for it. The number of hams who are against anything ARRL is increasing each time they put another rare chicken thigh on the table.
That is the relevance of the band and mode comment Pete.

-ap
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 09:12:51 PM »

But the question is, who would want a novice license?  The novice license was a purgatory to be endured until you upgraded, and I question whether it was even needed in the first place back in the 50's. 

I'm pretty certain I gained my extreme distate for operating CW during my novice days.   Haven't picked up a key in at least 20 years and don't miss it a bit.

The novice bands could easily be re-occupied by expanding the phone bands.  There is absolutely no justification for the novice sub-bands as they are today - almost completely bereft of activity.

'73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 10:26:01 PM »

Wasn't not too long ago that the ARRgghhL was advocating against a 'Novice License'? Now they want to re-initiate it? Cripes its no wonder the FCC won't take them seriously on any of their proposal since they don't have the slightest idea what they want. Like a spoil child that ought to be taken out to the wood shed for a good beating!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015