The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:10:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grrrrr.... Celll Shack - A Rant!  (Read 16939 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 07:36:47 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What, you gonna ask the clerk for help designing that plate-modulated 4X1 rig?

Yes, I suggest you go into Radio Shack and ask for a Chimney!

Grin Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2005, 09:40:08 PM »

sometimes a similiar sized "torqs" (spelling) type bit will fit in those bristol wrench screw socets.
Seems that the bristol or bristo wrenchs can be tought to find

Bristo wreches can be had on EBAY.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2005, 09:45:40 PM »

web research.

As far as I know, Dave/APE is their only customer these days.

I always maintain a first name basis relationship with the local Radio Shack franchisees.
The kids behind the counter duck like a SCUD missile is headed their way when they see my old Cadillac pull into the lot. Once in a while I run into a kid fresh outta some sales seminar. That is always good for some fun.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 09:50:14 AM »

I'm in the process of wiring up my recording studio down here and I needed a 1/4" to 1/4" female phone jack barrell connector, the kind you would use to extend a guitar cable.... Even the manager of the local Rat Shack couldn't help me... She was pulling out all kinds of telephone gadgets, cable TV adapters... it was very amusing!... I guess it would have been different if I was looking to buy a toy RC monster!  Grin Grin
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 10:31:01 AM »

Its funny but some of the best Radio Shacks are those in smaller communities where it is just part of another business/store front like a hardware store or something.  They carry a very limited stock of the entertainment and cell phone stuff and sometimes have a few the small parts you might be looking for.  Maybe they tend to be a bit more independent from the "company line".  I don't know why RS can't see the forest for the trees as far as continuing to offer the blister-pak stuff.  Sure, it wasn't the greatest, but at least it was somewhere you could go and pick-up items on a weekend or other time when no one else was open.  We are thankful that we still have a surplus/over-the -counter electronics parts store here in Ft. Wayne  ...Pembleton Electronics.  It is generally a good place to pick-up parts and even a bargain now and then.  Those places are fast disappearing!!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
kb2mob
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2005, 10:21:03 PM »

Angry
I just had a run in with Radio Shack as well. All I needed was an SO-239 for a dipole I wanted to build for my FT-901. I visit the one in the mall in the home town. Nada. The one in Nelliston, NY. Nope! Herkimer, NY? Fugedda' 'Bout it! I had to go to the Radio Shack in New Hartford, NY to get a couple.

Hopefully they'll change their name to Cell Shack and get rid of any confusion! It's a shame, that in an area like mine, I can't find parts for a "weekend project". Looks like I'm going to have to make the run to Albany now for any parts I want. Sad
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2005, 12:39:51 AM »

My local Rat Snack has such a turnover of personnel, I keep expecting them to install a revolving door at the front of the place.

It's a bloody shame that RS is practically abandoning their roots in favor of products for a more "plug-&-play" clientele.  Appliance operators, really! Tongue

I bypass the salespeople when I go in; I know what I'm looking for, and most of the time have a fairly good idea of where to find it in the store, if they happen to have it.  Sometimes, one of the sales peeps will hover nearby, as if checking me out.  I'm waiting for one of them to accuse me of shoplifting.  Shocked

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015