The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:28:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good quality PTT relay for Johnson Ranger  (Read 4642 times)
Knightt150
Contributing

« on: September 12, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »

I have aquired a beautiful JOHNSON RANGER ll from a friend, I am going to fixup and put PTT in it. Can anyone suggest a good quality (with gold contacts) low voltage relay and socket that would do the job.

John W9BFO
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »

I have not heard from anyone on this, has anyone installed PTT in a JOHNSON RANGER lately.                                                 

John W9BFO Roll Eyes
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »

John,

Since you mentioned PTT I thought I would share some information going beyond the actual question!  So here goes... 

I forget the manufacture, but it was an enclosed 4 pole double pole-double throw relay.  I probably ordered it from Mouser.  That goes back about 25 years and it has not failed yet!  Gold plated contacts really does not buy you anything for the application in the Ranger.  Gold is typically used when switching very low currents.  There is ample wiping of the contacts along with enough current through the contacts to make them move slightly which keeps things clean.  

I chose to do things a bit different when I did my PTT scheme in the Ranger.  It follows closely what Tim, WA1HLR recommended.  I switch 4 basic functions when going from transmit to receiver.  They are as follows:

1) 120 VAC to the antenna relay contacts on the back of the rig
2) VFO Keying line
3) Screen voltage on modulators
4) Screen voltage on final

The result from switching those items allow for a educed standby current.  The rig runs much cooler.  For the keying voltage, I rectified and filtered the filament voltage in order to power the coil of the relay.  If you do that and you use a very high impedance mike, like a D-104, you need to filter the voltage very well otherwise hum will be picked up in the self contained PTT/ Mic Cable.  I have an external PTT switch on a master control rack panel so I don't use the mic cable PTT scheme.

More details on a similar scheme can be found over on Steve's AM Window site:

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/rangptt.htm

As you will notice, Tim used 2 relays with some spare contacts to
'boot".  He also used an extra set of contact to control the pilot lamp on the front panel.  

As mention, I have used this scheme for over 25 years and it has never given me any problems.

Have fun!

Joe, W3GMS    

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »

Joe: Thanks for the come back on this, I am trying to get the best way to put PTT in the ranger. The 2 relay Idea takes up a lot of space where space is a premium.

John W9BFO
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »

Hi John,
I just used a rather small 4 pole relay which fit nicely under the deck of the Ranger.  As mentioned it has always worked out real well. 

Rather than messing with the function switch wires on the Ranger, you can simply break the appropriate points in the circuit that I mentioned in my previous posting.  That way you just leave the mode switch in the correct position and then do all the switching with the relay and the control line to power the relay coil. 

Joe, W3GMS         

Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »

Joe:  Could you send me the info on the relay you used and socket plus the schematic to my email or post it on the forum for others sake.

John W9BFO
email w9bfo-am@charter.net
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:44:44 AM »

John,
I will need to pull the Ranger off the air and out of the cabinet to do that since I don't remember the manufacture and part number of the relay.  Its been 25 years or so ago when I did the PTT scheme in mine.  As far as the schematic is concerned I can mark up the original Ranger schematic if you like. 

How about next week sometime I get you the info since this weekend will be busy? 

Joe, W3GMS

Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »

Joe: That would be much appreciated, If the look into the ranger is a lot of trouble don't do it. After 25 years they probibly don't make the relay anymore.

John W9BFO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015