The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:58:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vortex Joe?  (Read 4663 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: November 01, 2005, 08:32:16 AM »

Have not heard Joe on the air nor seen any postings of late. Is he OKFINE?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:15:05 PM »

Carl,
     I greatly appreciate you asking about me!!! My xyl, Jocelyn, has been in the hospital for knee replacement surgery since Monday a week ago. She had both knees replaced and is doing very well. I was able to get on the air a few minutes Friday and Saturday nights, but most of my time has been consumed by running back and forth to the Hospital, work, and a mountain of housework and chores that have to be done in between and a few hours of sleep per night. When she returns everything will be back to normal, and after she starts walking on her own again I promised her I'd ask her to help me carry transmitters and power supplies, modulators, down the basement shack as part of her therapy. She won't comply - hi!

I've had a few minutes in between all of the above in which I've been working on a classic 812's modulated by 811's 6' rack transmitter with a pair of 2A3's in the speech amp. I'd love to hear it sing for it's supper on 160M this fall. Also, a smallish HB rig with a 832 in it's final modded by PP 6V6's. It's a real little darling of a thing built in classic mid-late thirties style though it's most probably post WWII. I have a nasty habit of putting work that must be done right at my operating position so I'll have to work on it before I can get on the air again!

BTW, how is your 813 rig coming along? Do you need anything else for it? Again, Say the word and if I have it - it shall be yours. I'd love to hear you on the air with it.

Have you started any other projects? Pick up anything interesting? I really want to catch you on the air in the very near future!

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 06:19:59 PM »

Joe,

My best wishes for a speedy recovery for Mrs. Cro.  That seems to be going around.  Bob Harrison's (W2ICQ) xyl just had knee replacement, as did Joe, N2YR.  I wish them all well.

Vertex Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »

Joe,

My best wishes for a speedy recovery for Mrs. Cro.  That seems to be going around.  Bob Harrison's (W2ICQ) xyl just had knee replacement, as did Joe, N2YR.  I wish them all well.

Vertex Herb

Herb - Guess who's next? It seems that years of carrying "big iron" into the basement shack has taken it's toll on my left knee. The joint and cap are FUBAR.

Many thanks for the wellwishes and hope to talk to you on the air real soon.
Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 09:16:16 PM »

Joe,
Glad to hear you are well and my best to the XYL. Hope she has a very speedy recovery.

Before you have your operation, make sure you line everyting that needs to be done on the various vortex benches so you can make good use of the recovery time.

I usually hear you on 75 as I drift off on the bedside rcvr or see your posts on here and I wondered if all was OK when you were missing.

I am in pretty good shape for the 813 rig, just a matter of assembly at this point. I have been distracted by several other projects on the way and time has been at a premium.

Did you get the Wasp going?

Best 73 and glad all is well.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1IA

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 11:36:15 PM »

Carl,
     I greatly appreciate you asking about me!!! My xyl, Jocelyn, has been in the hospital for knee replacement surgery since Monday a week ago. She had both knees replaced and is doing very well. I was able to get on the air a few minutes Friday and Saturday nights, but most of my time has been consumed by running back and forth to the Hospital, work, and a mountain of housework and chores that have to be done in between and a few hours of sleep per night. When she returns everything will be back to normal, and after she starts walking on her own again I promised her I'd ask her to help me carry transmitters and power supplies, modulators, down the basement shack as part of her therapy. She won't comply - hi!

I've had a few minutes in between all of the above in which I've been working on a classic 812's modulated by 811's 6' rack transmitter with a pair of 2A3's in the speech amp. I'd love to hear it sing for it's supper on 160M this fall. Also, a smallish HB rig with a 832 in it's final modded by PP 6V6's. It's a real little darling of a thing built in classic mid-late thirties style though it's most probably post WWII. I have a nasty habit of putting work that must be done right at my operating position so I'll have to work on it before I can get on the air again!

BTW, how is your 813 rig coming along? Do you need anything else for it? Again, Say the word and if I have it - it shall be yours. I'd love to hear you on the air with it.

Have you started any other projects? Pick up anything interesting? I really want to catch you on the air in the very near future!

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Wow Joe!! I hope she makes a fast recovery...bummer.  It was good to chat the other night. I have been laying low with a nasty cold and sore throat thing. I was bummed, cause Keith WA1HZK called me tonite to tell me the gang was on and discussing fun winter projects...hmmmm the warm smell of large glass-fets. A couple more weeks and I will have the 160 mtr RF deck done (another baby E-Rig) just 375 watts. Keith is going to come over and help me with 2 major antenna projects. 160 meter dipole at about 70 feet, running broadside north to south; The 2 element driven array for 75...also about 70 feet up. I placed a major order of 1000 ft of #10 copper-weld and 1000 ft of coax...both rg213 and some rg8x. Oh ya the beverage whch will be 2 wire design east-west about 500 feet long.

Seems that every time I listen on the air the bar is getting raised higher and higher ...I LUV IT! Grin Everyone keep building and lets hear the whole 75 and 160 mtr band filled with big fat SWEET A.M. signals!!!!!! Wink

Brent(Tina)

p.s. the PDM kilowatt for 160 will be coming soon....(winter project)

Run What Ya Brung!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 01:14:40 PM »

Herb - Guess who's next? It seems that years of carrying "big iron" into the basement shack has taken it's toll on my left knee. The joint and cap are FUBAR.

Many thanks for the wellwishes and hope to talk to you on the air real soon.
Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe N3IBX

Joe --

Glad to hear Jocelyn is doing fine after surgery.   

Your comment about your knees is a relevant one though.   I'm almost 48, and from your photo you seem to be in your early 30's, so the following may not apply....but....       I've been seriously contemplating buying a "Lift Table" from Harbor Freight;  selectable height adjustment means you just adjust the table's height, slide your radio from their perch onto the table, roll the table to the bench, adjust height, and slide the radio onto said bench.  The weight limit on the one I'm looking at is around 1000 pounds, and the price (not on sale) is around $200.   I'm noticing that my knees are starting to complain somewhat,  so an ounce of prevention seems pretty reasonable to me.  

73 Mark K3MSB

Mark - In my early '30's? I was many years ago and thanks for the compliment!!! Actually, I'm 47 and I like your idea of a lift table. I think it'd save a lot of wear and tear on your knees, back, etc; and well worth the money.
Very Best Regards,
                          Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »

Don Vortexo,
Been missing hearing you on 160.  Glad to hear that Jocelyn is doing well. 

Now be smart and don't make her tote any iron until after she buys your Christmas present.  I just pray that your knee holds out until then.  After Christmas feel free to crash until Timonium.  Just remember that after you get that new knee -- and may it be a masculine knee --  stay out of airport metal detectors, unless you want a front row seat for the Homeland Security Rubber Puppet Show.

Keep smiling OM and all best wishes to you and Jocelyn.  Hope to talk soon.

Methuselah a/k/a K2ORC

Go Duke![/b]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015