The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 51J-3/R388  (Read 4029 times)
W8EJO

« on: November 01, 2005, 11:32:44 AM »

I recently acquired a 32V-2 & am looking for a nice companion receiver. I have a lead on an R388 & the price is in the "very attractive" category. However, I have never used one & have no oppurtunity to take this one for a test ride as it is a long distance deal. I'd like to use it for BCB & shortwave bandcruising also.

I'm wondering what the personality of the radio is & how it plays.  I'm wondering if it would be enough of a step-up (if at all) from either my Hammarlund SP200 or NC303 to make it a worthwhile buy. There seems to be plenty of info on the internet concerning the 51J-4 but not much on the 51J-3.  I've read that it's a 51J-4 without the mechanical filters in the 2nd IF but are they truly identical in every other way (particulary selectivity choices - I hate pinced audio)?

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:34:39 PM »

I have an R 388 in use here for almost 20 yrs...It has good selectivity, excellent sensitivity, and the wonderful collins pto and accurate dial readout.  The stock audio from the R388 is somewhat restricted and I have tapped the diode detector and run it thru a stereo amp and speakers for a fb sound......I am looking for another one for the other qth...gud luk....Steve
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 03:20:13 PM »

Audio:  crap.
BFO: crap, needs a product detector, which is an EASY mod if you don't mind losing the IF output jack. 
Front end selectivity:  so-so due to untuned input (due to army requirement to use this RX on a whip).

All the rest:  outstanding.

If the price is right, buy it.  You can't have too many receivers  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 11:56:08 AM »

IF the BFO is the same Hartley type as in the 51J-4, then you could mod it to be the 6BE6 BFO/Product detector as described by Bill Orr, years ago in HR magazine.  Works well in the 51J-4.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 01:36:17 PM »

It's much easier than that.  There's a 12AU7 cathode follower for the IF output which, when re-wired, makes a Fine Business OM product dictector indeed.  A couple resistors, capacitors, and a 2 shielded wires up to the BFO switch and you're done.  Course you pretty much hafta drop the front panel...

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015