The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 09:16:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn Wind  (Read 3626 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: October 17, 2005, 03:22:24 PM »

The damn wind took one of my antennas down yesterday.  Need to inspect the others for damage.  Hopefully the others are OK.  Cry

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:50:10 PM »

Yep. Snapped a guy on my crappy mast. Time to get out the box of bandaids

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »

After a walk in the woods looking at the beverages, I found no less than five larger trees that had fallen over various legs. All trees were rotted hulks with no root systems. I was able to lift a few off and repair the damage, so all is well again. Two hours shot to hell...  [there's three beverages, with a total wire run of about 2500' to maintain... sigh]

I'll bet a lot of the guys had SOME kind of damage. Bob, KBW told me his 6M beam got banged up by a tree branch and is off line as of last week

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:25:25 PM »

Got the dipole back up after about 90 minutes of trying to get the suspension rope over the ideal branch. What a paiin in the arm.  Went to inspect the mast in the woods.  No damage to it but realized the base has sunk about 4 inches since installation last spring.  My fault for putting it in a swamp.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 10:12:31 AM »

Not much came down around my property this time around, but a week or so back when we had wind it took down a number of trees, including a huge, dead tree that the woodpeckers have been working over. Snapped the top off a live maple, laid a dead hemlock down within a few feet of the phone line, and a number of limbs ended up coming down where my antenna used to hang. Probably the only time I can be thankful I didn't have anything strung up in tha air.  Sad

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1IA

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 11:40:22 AM »

Lost one leg of the 40 meter wire array.....Hmmm, looks like quite a few were victim of the wind gods.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015