The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:27:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use a waveform monitor ?  (Read 11451 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2005, 08:17:55 PM »

THere's NO excuse for anyone to NOT use a scope when they can be found at any hamfest for less than $25.

And, my humble opinion only, but there's NO reason (unless you're in love with their looks) to mess with those crappy heathkit monitors when good quality scopes can be found at any hamfest for less than $25.   Life is too short to mess with junky equipment when good equipment is cheaper.  Kinda like spending $100 for a junk S-38 and having to fix it when there was a working 51J-4 on the same hamfest table for $25.

Or so it seems to me.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 08:27:13 PM »

I find a spectrum analyzer a pain to watch while talking because of the sweeping effect. A scope is a lot easier to watch. A FFT analyzer is a lot easier. Spectrum analyzer is easier with tone testing.
John is right life is short and scopes are cheap.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 11:30:03 PM »

I find a spectrum analyzer a pain to watch while talking because of the sweeping effect. A scope is a lot easier to watch. A FFT analyzer is a lot easier. Spectrum analyzer is easier with tone testing.

Tone testing just plain sucks. Nothing like voice or some Van Halen.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 10:04:28 PM »

Don't scopes have that same "sweeping effect"? really old analyzers had slow sweep/sample rates ..the old long persistance green phosphor type?

Tone testing isn't going to tell you much, you really need a complex waveform like the human voice generates....or yes, some Van Halen  Grin

Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2005, 05:46:24 AM »

Tone testing just plain sucks. Nothing like voice or some Van Halen.
Yea, something that will show up intermod problems.
Ed Nesselroad
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 01:52:33 PM »

Scope and monitor work well together.  My monitor (RCA) was acquired without the little bulb to flicker on peaks.  Anyone have an idea what bulb to look for?  I'd love to recreate those halcyon days of AM broadcasting with a completely fuctional mod meter in the shack.
Thanks...
WA3VJB
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 03:08:57 PM »

Ed,
What vintage is that RCA modulation monitor ?
Some of them use an NE-51H, including the Gates variety, while others use a flash tube thyratron known as a 2050 or 2050W, like the General Radio model 1931A. If it's a flash tube type, it triggers voltage to a fairly ordinary bulb.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015