The AM Forum
May 31, 2024, 09:45:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Part 15 broadcaster shut down because of interference.  (Read 4493 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: October 09, 2005, 02:16:12 AM »

Sausalito's local jazz radio station is temporarily off the air after a commercial station in Santa Rosa complained of interference and warned it might file a federal complaint.

Radio Sausalito president Jonathan Westerling said his commercial-free, low-watt station at 100.1 FM does not reach beyond city boundaries and has strictly abided by rules of the Federal Communications Commission.

Radio Sausalito can still be heard for free online at www.radiosausalito.org/listen. They are in the process of purchasing new equipment to become an AM station with a stronger signal.

"Once the new equipment is installed and certified by the FCC, the station will be protected from future complaints."

http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_3098840

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:51:54 AM »

I'm actually looking forward to (hoping for) the day when all the commercial broadcasters wil have moved to sattelite.  Then I can enjoy more local community stations like this without them having to deal with interferece threats from big commercial guns.

Of course, it could never happen.  It didn't really hapen (yet) with television migrating all to cable and sattelite.

I just remember how nice local radio used to be in Buffalo.  Then I had to move to DC, which is, IMNSHO, a broadcast wasteland.

David, K3TUE
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 09:57:33 AM »

Does this mean that if I file a complaint about my TV emitting sprurious radiation the FCC would make the manufacturer fix it, or me shut it down?
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 10:55:45 AM »

I can sympathize with this guy's plight but I thought that LPFM stations were not to be any higher than ~93-95 Mcys? I don't think Radio Sausalito would be in any trouble since LPFM's have a free pass in this frequency range. I know a lot of informitive stations like road construction, theme parks, etc. use AM for broad range information. But I think the guy is throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater by changing format and not operating frequency.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 11:51:50 AM »

I can sympathize with this guy's plight but I thought that LPFM stations were not to be any higher than ~93-95 Mcys?

I'm curious why on FM, the more "underground" stations that play jazz or select ethnic music, college stations and these low powered stations are usually found on the lower end of the dial. Wheras, the hard pounding, highly processed big rock and rap stations are found above 93 mhz and clustered to the upper end?

I wud think over time that a station on the upper end wud be sold to a grouop that wanted a different format and the programing diveristy wud be more random across the FM spectrum, like on the AM BC band.

ie, When I'm searching for jazz, they are all custered on the low end. How did this come about? [at least it appears this way to me in CT/MA/RI/NY]

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 01:54:19 PM »

[

I'm curious why on FM, the more "underground" stations that play jazz or select ethnic music, college stations and these low powered stations are usually found on the lower end of the dial.

Sorta sounds like the alleged AM window. I like LPFM stations. And if the big boring commercial station do go satellite,I hope the band becomes populated with them. When Im in Portsmouth NH, I tune in WSCA-LP 106.1 FM   Cool   http://www.wscafm.org/

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 04:35:12 PM »

"I'm curious why on FM, the more "underground" stations that play jazz or select ethnic music, college stations and these low powered stations are usually found on the lower end of the dial. Wheras, the hard pounding, highly processed big rock and rap stations are found above 93 mhz and clustered to the upper end?"

In the past, the FCC 'reserved' the FM channel allocations below 93 MHz (or is it 92 MHz) for noncommercial stations. I used the term 'reserved' because that's probably not the correct terminology. Are these freqs still noncom only? And are noncomms limited to only these freqs?
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 06:05:36 PM »

In the past, the FCC 'reserved' the FM channel allocations below 93 MHz (or is it 92 MHz) for noncommercial stations. I used the term 'reserved' because that's probably not the correct terminology. Are these freqs still noncom only? And are noncomms limited to only these freqs?

Hmmm.. you might have hit the nail on the head there, S!

In the past I usually hear college stations, and public service types with money telethons to support programming. Also, the main religion station, that runs no commercials is there.  Makes sense now.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015