The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000-2001 Ford Focus owners  (Read 13415 times)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:24:47 PM »

Ford Motor Company will recall 573,585 Ford Focus models made between 2000 through 13 June 2001 for a defective fuel pump for the third time. The recall issue number is "03N01."

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Ford recalled the Focus twice: Once in June 2001 for an interim fix and again in December 2001 for a final fix. Neither recall appears to have solved the fuel pump from failing though. This third Ford Focus fuel pump recall; however, will not be like any other recall Ford has instituted in the past, and will almost certainly receive scrutiny from the NHTSA and disapproval from safety advocates and consumer alike.

Rather than issue a standard recall where Ford would replace the defective part or component, for the first time Ford will try and avoid replacing the known defective part at all. Ford's new recall scheme mandates that they will only replace the known defective part after it actually fails. Ford has specifically instructed their dealers to "Fix only if broken" the known defective Focus fuel pump after it fails.

Further, Ford has warned its dealers that unlike previous recalls where the new part would be guaranteed under provisions of the vehicle warranty or an additional warranty, Ford will only replace the eligible part once. In cases where a customer previously paid to have the repair performed, the customer would be entitled to both a refund and a repair though. In addition, Ford will replace the original fuel pump should it fail for 10 years from the warranty start date.

A document from the U.S. Department of Transportation shows that Ford and the ODI have a combined 3,475 complaints filed by consumers. Additionally, as of 09 September 2002, 18 crashes and 4 injuries have been attributed to the failed fuel pumps after the vehicle's engine failed to due a lack of fuel. The defective fuel pumps fail without notice.

The U.S. government has also concluded that the 2002 Ford Focus may have the same problem as the 2000-2001 models and should be included in an upgrade. Ford's latest recall does not include the 2002 Focus.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 07:29:36 PM »

Well Ive got a 02. After 55k no problems (yet)

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:34:25 PM »

Well Ive got a 02. After 55k no problems (yet)
We have 8- 01s and 02s in our rental fleet ED. I have replaced the pumps in 5 of them so far. Hope you get lucky.
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:31:38 AM »

eeee

I just counseled someone away from the "Focus" because it is so expensive.

The initial purchase price is lower than rival U.S. made brands like Toyota, Honda and Mazda, but the high price comes because the Focus fails to hold much value.

This loss of value is felt when the car wears out prematurely (compared to its rivals) and you either try to sell it or trade it in.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 10:20:25 AM »

eeee

the Focus fails to hold much value.

This loss of value is felt when the car wears out prematurely

The car is carefully designed to wear out at a specific level of time and useage.
They are also designed to be throwaways. Run the balance sheet and one finds it cheaper to go back to the dealer for a new one after a certain period.
George might have better results in Fleet service but the taxman usually dictates how trade-in time works there.
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 07:29:24 PM »

The reoccurring trouble  spots I've found are ... Fuel Pumps, DPFE sensors that control the EGR, Trunk latches , O2 sensors, and Ignition lock cylinders. If I knew  someone looking for a dependable little 2nd car, I wouldn't recommend the 2000- 02 Focus.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 02:29:44 AM »

I got mine used (02 wagon) . It had about 6000k on it now 55k.  No problems though. All Ive done is new tires and brakes along with regular oil changes. I traded a 99 GMC Safari problem child for it. Another 50k or so and I get something else anyway. Not a bad car. Nice stereo and everything does what it suppose to do. Actually has a little bit of zip for a 4 banger.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 04:42:03 AM »

I got mine used (02 wagon) . It had about 6000k on it now 55k.  No problems though. All Ive done is new tires and brakes along with regular oil changes. I traded a 99 GMC Safari problem child for it. Another 50k or so and I get something else anyway. Not a bad car. Nice stereo and everything does what it suppose to do. Actually has a little bit of zip for a 4 banger.
Glad to hear you got a good one ED.  Maybe it was made late in 02 and Ford worked out the bugs by then , or you just got lucky.  Grin
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 06:03:16 AM »

George,
Is the Focus 100% built by Ford? The reason I ask is my Ford Ranger is not.  It actually has a Mazda transmission in it.

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 06:58:45 AM »

George,
Is the Focus 100% built by Ford? The reason I ask is my Ford Ranger is not.  It actually has a Mazda transmission in it.

Bob
As far as I know Bob.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 09:32:35 AM »

We own a 2000 Focus, bought it new for an economical commuting car. It's a 4-door with a 5-speed stick, optional 2000 cc DOHC engine, gets around 28-30 MPG. That was the first year the Focus was sold in the USA, prior to that it had been manufactured off shore and was a popular car in Europe with a good reputation. All other things being similar, I also wanted to purchase a vehicle manufactured in the USA, if possible. That's what I based my decision on.

In any case, we've had no unusual problems with it other than the fistful of recall notices we received over the years. 70,000 miles on it now, doesn't use a drop of oil.  Handles our windy roads like a slot car. It's far cry from being a POS but maybe we got lucky.

As I said, the Focus had a good reputation in Europe, seems like all the problems started when they began building them here. I suspect they tried cutting corners and it didn't work out.
K3ZS

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 10:14:46 AM »

Ford owns Mazda.  I have a Mazda Tribute, which is about the same as the Ford Escape.  The warranty period is on year longer on the Mazda.  Does anyone know how much is Mazda engineering or Ford Engineering in this vehicle?
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 11:09:54 AM »

Bill,

I think the Focus is made in Mexico.

The Japanese-heritage brands have responded to your preference for U.S. made vehicles.  Check the unit volume for U.S production plants long established by Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan. You will see these plants provide as many jobs for Americans as the workforce at the "traditional" U.S. brands, many of which are using substantial "foreign" content anyway. I point attention to the Japanese-heritage brands because they have led the way in establishing a better standard than any other identifyable group for value/quality.

Ford's new sedan, the successor to the "Taurus" will be made in Mexico, possibly with Italy's Fiat contributing.
Chrysler, which has produced models that are selling well, is a German-owned company, and the revenue from American purchases shows up in their balance-of-trade tally. General Motors? Well, someone pointed out to me, and I agree, that since GM targets a mainstream buyer who is typically indifferent about their car, they care not about resale value, country of origin, or much else. It's like buying a toothbrush. Use for a while, throw away.

Curiously, the first foreign automaker failed when it tried to  establish a U.S. plant. The Volkswagen factoy in Pennsylvania went down because of labor issues and quality control. Word spread, and in the used market during the 1980s people sought German-made "Rabbits" and avoided their U.S. made variants There was a wide resale price differential.

In the past 15 years or so as the old Detroit brands suffered a loss in market share, those corporations finally began to realize customer loyalty could not be taken for granted.  People have begun to realize the expensive nature of continuing to buy the Detroit brands (as demonstrated by the poor resale value/depreciation factor). The revenue from selling cheaply made cars at significant markup may also have enabled a certain complacency among the companies producing those cars. It may even have empowered them to cut corners, as you surmised, since in their view the customer would simply come back for more. 

Quit letting them get away with it.

In my fleet, here are the ones I remember:
(not including running/hulk parts cars)

1964 Buick Electra (still own, since new)
1966 Austin Healey  (1973-75)
1971 Ford Capri 2000 (1975-76)
1968 Datsun Roadster 1600 (1976-82)
1970 Datsun Roadster 2000 (1981-83)
1976 Pontiac Lemans/police (1980-88)
1985 Honda Accord (1988-2003)
1999 Honda Accord (2003-2005)
1969 Datsun Roadster 1600 (1982-present)
1987 Dodge Diplomat/police (1992-present)
1990 Toyota Corolla (1994-2003)
1995 Toyota Camry (still own, since new)
2004 Mazda 6 Wagon (still own, since new)

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 11:23:36 AM »

Bill,

I think the Focus is made in Mexico.

The Japanese-heritage brands have responded to your preference for U.S. made vehicles.  Check the unit volume for U.S production plants long established by Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan. You will see these plants provide as many jobs for Americans as the workforce at the "traditional" U.S. brands, many of which are using substantial "foreign" content anyway.

Yeah and they put Michael Keaton in charge of labor.
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 11:38:06 AM »

Nice one, Dave !!

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 12:41:09 PM »

That was a funny movie!

The idea of an American made car is more or less obsolete. Many Chrysler products are designed in Germany, some produced (and even designed) in Mexico. Ford has had truck plants in Canada for years. Lots of Toyota cars are designed and produced in the US. The parts for these cars come from all over.

The resale value of a car is irrelevant if you never plan to sell it.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 01:23:08 PM »

The resale value of a car is irrelevant if you never plan to sell it.

You mean that you still have that Subaru?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 02:20:41 PM »

No. But I didn't sell it. Other than the fact that is was butt ugly (IMHO), it wasn't a bad car. So was a Ford Taurus (dubbed Clitaurus by Chuck, K1KW) I owned. But it was one of the best values of any car I owned. I got it for next to nothing, put next to nothing in it (I didn't even bother to change the oil, filters, etc) and it ran without fail for about three years. I did sell it, and got about as much as I paid for it! Who said American cars (uh, I mean Amuricuhn) don't hold their value?
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 05:16:20 PM »

No. But I didn't sell it. Other than the fact that is was butt ugly (IMHO), it wasn't a bad car. So was a Ford Taurus (dubbed Clitaurus by Chuck, K1KW) I owned. But it was one of the best values of any car I owned. I got it for next to nothing, put next to nothing in it (I didn't even bother to change the oil, filters, etc) and it ran without fail for about three years. I did sell it, and got about as much as I paid for it! Who said American cars (uh, I mean Amuricuhn) don't hold their value?

Tortise.
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 05:52:26 PM »

Some guys have all the luck.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 06:05:13 PM »

Some guys have all the luck.

ALL THE LUCK

Search Other SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK Lyrics

Search :

Return to Rod Stewart Lyrics

SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK Lyrics (Rod Stewart)

Rod Stewart - SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK Lyrics

(J. Fortgang)

Chorus:
Some guys have all the luck
Some guys have all the pain
Some guys get all the breaks
Some guys do nothing but complain

Alone in a crowd on a bus after work
and I'm dreaming
The guy next to me has a girl in his arms
My arms are empty
How does it feel when the girl next to you
says she loves you
It seem so unfair when there's love everywhere
but there's none for me

(Chorus)

Someone to take on a walk by the lake
Lord let it be me
Someone who's shy
Someone who'll cry at sad movies
I know I would die if I ever found out
she was fooling me
You're just a dream and as real as it seems
I ain't that lucky

(Chorus)

All of my friends have a ring on their finger
They have someone
Someone to care for them it ain't fair
I got no one
The car overheated
I called up and pleaded
There's help on the way
I called you collect you didn't accept
You had nothing to say

(Chorus)

But if you were here with me
I'd feel so happy I could cry
You are so dear to me
I just can't let y
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2005, 07:29:48 AM »

The Japanese-heritage brands have responded to your preference for U.S. made vehicles.  Check the unit volume for U.S production plants long established by Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan. You will see these plants provide as many jobs for Americans as the workforce at the "traditional" U.S. brands, many of which are using substantial "foreign" content anyway.

Unfortunately the high paying white-collar jobs (engineering, management) are overseas - which is largely the same place the profits these companies make in the US go.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015