The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 08:44:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR-1000  (Read 13594 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 12:42:02 PM »

So, as far as I can tell, there are at least two members (maybe there are others). K3XF and K2LT that has these rigs. Are they worth the money, how's the receiver, transmitter, does it work well on AM, what kind of PC are you using with it, overall comments, etc.? What are your personal user comments about its performance as compared to the ARRL reviews?

Now, wouldn't it be cool to integrate the audio/visual part of this board, or at least the visual, with the SDR-1000's receiver/transmitter functions all on one PC.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
LarryK2LT
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 01:43:32 AM »

SDR-1000--My comments:  It is a "work in progress" .  Think engineering a la Tron and workmanship not as good as INR and you begin to get a feel for the box.  I bought mine used at a slight discount from the retail $.   I am happy with it and I like its many features which daily expand as the crowd pumps out more software and Flex-Radio improves the hardware. 

I have problems with RF getting back into the soundcard which makes it sound like a slight echo on transmit.  Had to redo the inverted V antennae as the old pole was removed (from my neighbors lot) so now I have a tower near the house which is causing all sorts of gremlins to show their heads.

Think of having your stereo set in the shack playing your favorite oldies while you're pumping out a gallon and the real scene emerges.  The SDR1K uses a M Audio Delta 44 card which has better specs than the cheaper cards.  The soundcard is the heart of the DSP processing and works great on receive.  Think brick wall filters with steep, deep skirts.  The signal simply goes away when you tune past the edge.  The problem is transmitting with the beast as there are MANY cables running around to tie the rig to the computer.  Ground loops are a real problem especially with the Drake L-4 amp on.

I have started to sort through the RFI problems but it sometimes is frustrating to find that nothing seems to make an improvement.  I guess I'll have to put in an OFFICIAL grounding system, lay the bits and pieces out on the bench and strap everything together with a herky groung strap and start breaking the shield grounds on the many cables.

The computer is a 1.8 Ghz Celeron with a gig of ram and seems to loaf along with the radio running.  I've even been on the internet at the same time the rig is on with a split screen.  It needs at least a 1 ghz processor to fly right.

The software has all the latest bells and tinkles: panadapter, freq memory, instant band change, all kinds of filters, AM and synchronous AM detectors, and it even is getting to be a pretty good CW rig.  Most all the logging programs can run the rig and the digital stuff is expanding rapidly.   Don't like the present screen layout?  You can change it with a bit of programing.

When I get a handle on the RFI I'll be on AM with it using the L-4 to help over come the crap band conditions.

It is NOT a finished box that you "plug and play".  There is a learning curve as the thing operates in a different manor than the old tweak knob gear.  I'll have both running this winter when I finally get off the road from the real work.  Then we can discuss the merits of new vs old.  The L-4 has those pretty 3-400s in it so I'm still in the boatanchor class.  AND, I can run Gary's screen saver virus program at the same time!

L
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 08:58:32 PM »

Thanks Larry for all the info. Very interesting rig. Maybe Santa will bring me one.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015