The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:09:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a MASSIVE antenna  (Read 2266 times)
Fred k2dx

« on: March 17, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »

Could this be one of the sites where the 'Russian Woodpecker' originated from?

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1882     many pics here!

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »

Yes, I think that is the over the horizon radar site in Russia and I think this appeared on the ARRL website recently..

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »

Yes, those are some very nice pictures of the "Woodpecker Array". That's an interesting site Fred. I especially like the section that covers the "Miss Russian Army" contest!

* 6.jpg (22.48 KB, 400x266 - viewed 362 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »

YUP there was another thread on this massive thing a few weeks ago.
That would be a tremendous HAM aerial.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »

Looking at the length of the individual broadband "dipoles"  I can see how it could have covered 14 mhz and caused problems.

From the pics, it appears to be about 24 dipoles high X 16 dipoles wide.  Truly remarkable.

From a rough calculation, I figure about 34 dbi gain.   That's about 22db over a 3 el Yagi... :-)

As a  far as using it for ham use, I'll bet the horizontal beamwidth was no more than 4 degree wide at the 3db points. The vertical "cigar" pattern would be about 2 degrees wide, skimming the horizon. Maybe they cud add some skewing by phase steering, but it would be pretty narrow.

Pick the city you wanna talk to, and hope that propagation is EXTREMELY low angle. Since the optimum vertical angle on 20M for DX often ranges from about 12 to 25 degrees or so, this array wud be good for band openings and closings  - and that's about it.  But you cud hear stuff NOBODY would have a prayer of hearing for a period of time... Grin

I'll guess there was a narrow geographical window for incoming missles that they were trying to cover... from a quick look, is it beaming Northwest?  That would rule out China and Alaska incoming. Maybe northern Europe or USA from the NW?

(Look at the shadows, roads from (pic to pic) and the aerial view as evidence for direction it is beaming.)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015