The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:45:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Log Damage and Various Antenna Pictures -  (Read 12800 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 08:06:50 PM »

Paul,

Yes, that's a military communications shelter, vintage 1990, once used for tactical radar, etc. I got five of them surplus back in 1998. They were stripped and used for storage.  They weigh 2,000 pounds each and are all aluminum.

The coordinates for the QTH here are:  41  40  28.3      72  29  19.7

My computer is too old to handle Google Earth software, so let me know what you see, if anything. I did view some shots once, but they were not high enuff resolution to see the small footprint off vertical towers or guy cables.

T

"New homebrew 40M 3el full sized Yagi about to go up:"

What's the enclosure it's sitting on...looks like a military thingie to go on a truck.

Is your antenna farm visible on google earth?  What's the Lat. & Long.?

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w1guh
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 08:09:26 AM »

Really couldn't see any antennas, just the shadows from a couple of towers.  But I (barely) recognized the house and general setting.  Wow!

Luckily, your QTH is in a hi-res strip running south from the M'ass. border.  They must've done that just for your QTH!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 10:44:21 AM »

Really couldn't see any antennas, just the shadows from a couple of towers.  But I (barely) recognized the house and general setting.  Wow!

Luckily, your QTH is in a hi-res strip running south from the M'ass. border.  They must've done that just for your QTH!

Interesting.

Is that a current shot? ie, if you can see three large warehouse type buildings about 1/4 mile from the house, then it's pre year 2000. Those were chicken coops that were torn down five years ago.

But, I'll bet with proprietary military satellite views, you could tell if I used 'N' or PL-259's out there... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

w1guh
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 11:22:22 AM »

This is what I see, if I got everything right...

* k1jj.jpg (44.25 KB, 716x618 - viewed 358 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 01:52:43 PM »

Wow that's an amazing shot.

It's correct, and and was taken sometime before June since I can still see some small trees that were cleared back then. Looks like maybe 11:00 AM based on the sun shadows.  You can actually see the white glare from two of the 18'X18' concrete tower bases. Also, there's a clear shadow of one of the 190' towers, as you said.

It looks about the same view as a naked eye view from about 5,000-6,000 ft in an airplane.

Thanks, Paul!

T

w1guh
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 02:02:18 PM »

You're very welcome, Tom.

I've spent hours surfing the world on that tool.  Found every building I ever
lived in.  My impression is that Google updates when it can, not all areas are that resolution.  Maybe a lat/long database here could let us visit each other from space.  I don't think those grid thingies are precise enough.

Anyway, thank you for the lat/long; I never could have found your QTH without it.

Paul
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015