The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:20:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 years and counting!!!!!  (Read 11868 times)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« on: June 04, 2005, 02:56:53 PM »

It has been 8 years since Brian Sherrod W5AMI came up with the concept of AMFONE.

Brians original concept started in 1997 when he started a website called AM North America. The site grew and was one of the leading edge sites of its time. In early 2001 Brian was unable to continue the administration of the site and eventually I was approached to take over the site. I took the url as the name of our new adventure  - AMFONE.NET

Over the last 4 years the site has grown to be the largest website of it's kind on the web. This is because of the support from each of you. You have made this site what Brian had wanted 8 years ago. I hope he smiles when he visits the site. If you get a minute write to Brian and let him know his efforts have paid off.

AMFONE is still a growing network. We now boast over 600 megs of AM related material and of course  The AM Forum with over 800 members and the new Audio and Video Chat area . The site receives over 1 million hits a month . There are some great new things coming up in the next month - - stay tuned!

Take a minute and click on the link below and enjoy Brians comments and goal for this site in 1997.

http://amfone.net

Thankyou  for your support in making this the best AM related website on the web. We have succeeded where many fail in creating a productive community with common interests.

Gary and Staff

AMFONE - Imitated but never duplicated! Cheesy

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 04:12:17 PM »

it's the people that make the difference, not the mode...
k3zrf

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 06:33:13 PM »

amen.............

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 08:47:20 PM »

It a great resource !!!

Here's to 8 more.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 10:13:01 PM »

I am afraid that if the AM presence on the web becomes fragmented into competing bulletin boards and reflectors, the fundamental purpose of discussing AM related issues and defending ourselves against actions hostile to AM interests, whether by the FCC, ARRL or the ham radio community in general, will be seriously weakened.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 04:44:40 AM »

Welp, Being a relative new comer on the scene. it's been a great pleasure to me at one time or another talking and working with everyone one of you on here or on the air and getting involved in little projects on the board here and or discussions, so with me it's the people.

I've always noticed though in times of need, whether Technical or Service related and in the Home Front How this gathering Pulls together...obstacles are only a Solution away, looking for a place to happen.

it's been eight years already wow. here's to ya Brian FBOM...
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 07:38:59 AM »

Quote from: k4kyv
I am afraid that if the AM presence on the web becomes fragmented into competing bulletin boards and reflectors, the fundamental purpose of discussing AM related issues and defending ourselves against actions hostile to AM interests, whether by the FCC, ARRL or the ham radio community in general, will be seriously weakened.

What was that old Nancy Regan slogan?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 09:22:37 AM »

Congratulations to you and Brian. Here's to eight more years.
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 11:40:41 AM »

Indeed, this web site has turned into a major resource for an AM newbie such as myself. A great group of guys with tons of experience, you just can't beat it! Now when I talk to someone who expresses an interest in getting on AM I always send them here first.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 01:34:16 PM »

Yep, through all the rough times here, Big G has hung tough and
kept the momentum going. Many of us would have thrown in the
towel by now. There's no doubt that his efforts over a long period
of time have made this site what it is today.  

I understand that AMFONE.net is the biggest specialty ham radio BB in
existance.  [I'm not sure if that's in terms of info, members
or what, but that's what I was told.]

Now that the rough ground has been plowed, it's a matter of
the members contributing more and more information to the
archives. Write an article about whatever radio related subject
you feel you have an insight into.

Membership participation is the ONLY way this site can continue
to grow. So many sites have died due to lack of activity or
members sitting on their rumps.

The important and beneficial side benefit about articles is that
after awhile, the web robots find them and they become listed
in Google, etc. I am always amazed at how many of my own
articles show up on Google from this site - some right at the
top of the search. These "free advertisements" is what will
pull in new people and inspire newbies to do AM.

I'm sure G is open to additional ideas into how to expand
the site and make it even more useful.

Keep up the good work everyone and lets ramp it up even
further over the next year!

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 02:24:47 PM »

Cheers to everybody who has maintained and/or contributed to an AM publication, whether print, or electronic; whether a mailing list, or a website.  The AM community owes a huge debt of gratitude to these hard-working people.

Remember the hard work of these few - informing us of everything from mods, to radios, to theory, to new developments, to events, to goings on in the lives of AMers - the list is a long one.  This community would not be what it is without this heritage.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
xe1yzy

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 04:19:46 PM »

BRAVO...BRAVISSIMO!

TVI WHAT TVI?
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 05:31:52 PM »

Hey Tom is that new avitar Noel Redding or Bernie from room 222?
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 08:45:35 PM »

Honored to a part of it, Gary.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 09:16:54 PM »

MOST EXCELLENT!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 09:19:05 PM »

Quote from: W3SLK
MOST EXCELLENT!

DOOOOODE!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 12:42:27 PM »

Has it been that long, Gary? Geez, I remember that Brian's site was one of the first (maybe *the* first?) AM sites I found after coming online in '96 and learning my way around. The AM Window too, how long has that been up 'HUZ?

First thing I ever saw on the internet was John Brewer's Boatscape page, courtesy of a friend working for IBM who was hooked up. Stayed at his place before the Milton Hamfest in Feb. '96 and saw the 'net for the first time - boatanchors, no less!

IMHO, the shakers and movers in the AM world, whether KW1I with AMI or Brian or G, HUZ, etc have always performed yeoman's service to the mode, both on air and off. G has done exceptionally well to pull this all together and offer so much, especially during some of the crap as 'JJ points out.

I'm glad to be a tiny part of the bigger picture we call AM. Thanks to everyone who have made the online resources possible and continue to do so.

~ Todd  'KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 03:46:10 PM »

The AM Radio Page was on the Web in late 1996. It went "official" in January 1997 as The AM Window. It's all kind of fuzzy now.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 07:21:39 AM »

It's all kind of fuzzy now.

Ya but still a great resource !!
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 08:01:25 AM »

I want to commend Gary for all the hard work he has done to continue amfone.net.  I thought long and hard about just WHO I wanted to turn amfone.net over to, and I know now that my decision was a good one.  This site has turned into a magnificent source for those who love this facet of the hobby.  I can't express how glad I am to have founded the concept of this website back in '96!  

It started (without a domain name) with a single page with nothing more than a photo of a BC610, some links and my email address.  It then began to evolve rapidly and web space was provided to me free by a place called www.bigcountry.com (no longer around) for some time.  

Sometime in 2000, I got the domain name amfone.net, and it stuck well.

I wish I still had a copy of the original "one page" html to show for a blast from the past, but it's long gone, I suspect.

There is however this link that shows what it looked like in May of 2001:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010516024638/http://www.amfone.net/

Thanks again Gary, and all those who have made this site what it is!

Vry 73
Brian / W5AMI

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 07:43:04 PM »

"G",
     Your board is a most excellent resource that is appreciated by ALL of us! Without your efforts, time, money, and UNSELFISHNESS in providing a most needed service to us, we wouldn't be where we are today.  You do most if not all of the work and guys like me get to enjoy it. Believe me, it's not taken for granted!

Many many thanks again and hope to modulate the aether with you in the very near future!

Mod-U-Later,
                    Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 09:32:12 PM »

Yup,

It's a Great Place to be.  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015