The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:16:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO Notice Survey  (Read 5808 times)
Steve W8TOW

« on: August 03, 2005, 08:41:14 AM »

I would appreciate knowing if you (any AMer) has received an OO notice
in the past 6 months...while operating AM...
please drop me a Private Message...I will keep all detail confidential...
vri 73 steve

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 09:41:44 AM »

Come on Steve.  I would like to know as well.  Some time back I heard of an AM operator receiving a notice from an OO that claimed the AM station was too broad.  This might become a real issue should the ARRL bandwidth proposal make it through.

You could sanitize any replys then give a report.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 11:00:34 AM »

Quote from: Jim, W5JO
 This might become a real issue should the ARRL bandwidth proposal make it through.

As I understand it, the ARRL proposal was modified to define bandwidth by "necessary" bandwidth, rather than "occupied" bandwidth.  I think that means that you could legally run a wider bandwidth as long as the transmitter was operating according to "good engineering and amateur practice."

This might not outlaw hi-fi AM and SSB as they are currently used on the band, but I suspect it would be very difficult to educate the amateur community, including OO's, the difference between "necessary" and "occupied" bandwidth, and "bandwidth" complaints would multiply severalfold.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3bv
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 12:06:18 PM »

Been "Officially" Observed? You're quite free to offer your observations in return:

k3zrf

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 12:25:35 PM »

I want one!

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 05:38:41 PM »

I um , about the complaints.. see my thing is before anyone complains about anything, check yourself first, how am i coming to any conclusion on a problem... now some of these rice boxes have recievers that are crap. and i've listened to some complaints on the air then when i find out what the op is operating... I'm in consideration of the Source. some people just like to stir the fire and controversy about AM .. that crap has to stop.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 06:44:09 AM »

About the OO's I understand fully what their voluntary and education requirements are, Actually i was in contact with an OO Rep here a few years back about a position, and a mentor of mine suggested i decline.

So I will rephrase my statement i retracted above in lue of a complaint and it would behoove the system to become very acclimated with the up and coming changes so there is no misunderstanding.

Evidently my being a General Class was in question, and my reply is and will always be, my staying a General is by choice, I didn't fall short of the CW requirement it was pulled out from under me.
W1GFH
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 10:23:11 AM »

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-

Evidently my being a General Class was in question, and my reply is and will always be, my staying a General is by choice, I didn't fall short of the CW requirement it was pulled out from under me.

I feel somewhat the same way. Back in the late 80's I passed the Extra 20 wpm CW and was working on the written when career needs took precedence. A 6 year hiatus from hamming followed, and by the time I got back into the swing of things, it was 5 wpm for everybody. Extra no longer felt like such a big deal, so I said "why bother?".
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 05:42:38 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH
Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-

I feel somewhat the same way. Back in the late 80's I passed the Extra 20 wpm CW and was working on the written when career needs took precedence. A 6 year hiatus from hamming followed, and by the time I got back into the swing of things, it was 5 wpm for everybody. Extra no longer felt like such a big deal, so I said "why bother?".

Hi Joe,

Well things get heated up once in awhile, misunderstandings happen, I miss the Challenge Joe, i've missed it since 90 this whole No-Code thing it's just not good medicine...so darn it I stopped...

But in the interum the Net has filled a void somewhat, different technology different technique instant information...a different kind of Savy is in order.. So we have our own little corner city block with what Gary provides us and we have to make do the best we can i guess...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015