The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:39:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity callsign question... who was that man?  (Read 17847 times)
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2005, 12:20:06 PM »

That's ok, what's a few "dits" among friends?  :lol:

Quote from: Paul, K2ORC
Quote from: Glenn K2KL

"NEW YORK 4 NORTH CAROLINA"   NY4NC how's that for a guy who's leaving NEW YORK for NORTH CAROLINA??  Cool  Cool

I think that's pretty cool call not to mention the nifty phonetics!!

Waddya think?

I think you've added a couple more dits
to your CQs.  Wink

K2 Old Recycled Callsign
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2005, 12:21:10 PM »

.... ..  .... ..  .-.. --- .-..

Go Duke![/b]
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2005, 02:20:04 PM »

Hey Glenn, neat call, and one with meaning.  At the time that I was becoming vain, I had also considered using my old call from Germany, when I was stationed there during the 60s  I was DL5EN.  There were absolutely no 1X2 ENs; all I could get was a 2X2.  I had thought about going for a palindrome:  NE2EN.  Then I woulda' been the same backwards and forwards, comin' or goin'.  But I'm sure lotsa folks would have had something to say about that  :badgrin: So I settled for K2VH instead.  But I do like your NY4NC.  Very stately :roll:   Remember NY2H (New York's Second Harmonic)?  He gave it up though.  I thought that was a neat call too.

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 02:43:09 PM »

"NEW YORK 4 NORTH CAROLINA" NY4NC how's that for a guy
who's leaving NEW YORK for NORTH CAROLINA??  "

Yep, great call and clever, Glenn!  Almost like a tattoo where
you document a time line point in life.  

With your Long Island accent, the southern boys down there
will know you're a Yankee even without the new call...  Cheesy  

To drive em nuts....how 'bout,  NY4RM ?  
"New York's  REEEEAALL MAAANNN"... :lol:

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2005, 02:46:43 PM »

Quote from: K1JJ
"

T

Everyone down there now is from up North. That's what I keep hearing.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2005, 04:07:02 PM »

My callsign is a vanity callsign, I'll admit it. It's probably obvious anyway.  I always wanted a 1x3 "W" call with my initials. I thought it would have a good ring to it so to speak.  

I was issued my novice call, KA1IHQ in 1982.  Pronouncing the callsign out loud wasn't to bad sounding but at the time I didn't have access to the phone bands so CW was the only way to put it on the air and sending it using CW was a PITA.  I upgraded to technician and changed the call to N1EBA.  Phonetically it was a pain but a nice call for CW.  

Being a technician class license holder I horsed around on 2m voice. Conversely, pronouncing the call using voice turned out to be a PITA but CW was easier. On voice people would not get the call right probably because I didn't anunciate it well or clear enough.  I'd get variations in QSO's from N1EPA, N1EDA, etc. It drove me nuts having to correct.  I retained N1EBA up to Advanced then along came the Vanity Callsign program and shazzam I had my current callsign.  

The one thing I miss about my old callsign however is the phonetics I made up for it.  N1EBA = Extremely Big Appendage.  I'd get some laughs out that.  I haven't come up with any phonetics for the current callsign, never really thought about it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2005, 04:15:41 PM »

Thanks Tom and Herb!....

Oh yea Tom, there gonna know I'm a yankee the first time i say the word "coffee"!!  :lol:

NEW YORK's REAL MAN?... that would get me shot!!  :lol:  :lol:

"NEW YORK 4 NORTH CAROLINA" NY4NC how's that for a guy
who's leaving NEW YORK for NORTH CAROLINA??  "

Yep, great call and clever, Glenn!  Almost like a tattoo where

To drive em nuts....how 'bout,  NY4RM ?  
"New York's  REEEEAALL MAAANNN"... :lol:

T
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 04:20:29 PM »

That's true Dave!... very many yankee transplants down there... can't blame us though, it's a great place to live. Your hard earned dollar goes further down there and no more hauling snow!..... I'm looking forward to my 8 acres for ant farm and 220 volts in the shack for the new big mawl caw mawn!!

I'll post a few photo's of the new house here tomorrow...

NY4NC

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
"

T

Everyone down there now is from up North. That's what I keep hearing.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2005, 06:35:31 PM »

Glenn said:
That's true Dave!... very many yankee transplants down there... can't blame us though, it's a great place to live. Your hard earned dollar goes further down there and no more hauling snow!..... I'm looking forward to my 8 acres for ant farm and 220 volts in the shack for the new big mawl caw mawn!!

The difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee is a Yankee is from the north, a Damn Yankee is from the north, moves south and stays! I was once a Damn Yankee (someone give me a RC and a Moon Pie!)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 08:14:01 AM »

Hi Mike!

But you didn't stay, right? unless you consider PA to be down south  :lol:

Where did you live?

Quote from: W3SLK
Glenn said:

The difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee is a Yankee is from the north, a Damn Yankee is from the north, moves south and stays! I was once a Damn Yankee (someone give me a RC and a Moon Pie!)
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2005, 11:47:54 AM »

I posted some photos of the new QTH in the station links and photos section.... please have a look
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015