The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carlisle PA MOPAR  (Read 11731 times)
N9NEO

« on: July 09, 2005, 12:24:33 AM »

If you go to Carlisle this weekend check out my nephew's two cars.

1966 black Belvedere with 426 hemi & 1971ish Challenger T/A.  Challenger is pukey olive green color.

Hope WX cooperates for all the gearheads.

Bob

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 05:42:02 AM »

Ahh Mopar Mania, been there three times had a Blast, great place to pick up plenty of Ballast resistors... Cheesy

I had a 71 Challenger 340 when i was a kid of 21 man I miss that wooden handled shifter... Cheesy
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 07:00:19 AM »

I had a 72 Dart (the last year before they went to the Valiant body style) with a 340, rally wheels and of all things a 3-speed on the floor. I used to turn them over in all 3. The rear was almost like a hatch-back where you could put the back seat down and have the space from the trunk to the front. Its biggest caveat is that it had a 12 gallon fuel tank. That 340 along with the Carter Thermo-Quad had a big appetite. I should have never got rid of it.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
N9NEO

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 09:24:37 AM »

Unfortunatly most of us could hardly afford to buy the same cars we had as kids.  Prices for the 60s and 70s muscle cars will probably decline around the time we're all being told we're too old to drive.  The market is being artificially driven up by successful baby boomers who have a few bucks to throw around.

I wish I still owned a 65 396/425 hp vette(worth more than my house), or even the sweet 67 SS396 chevelle I owned as a kid.  I've got a 71 350 vette with chrome bumperS, but in the garage waiting for me to strap on an intake and a new radiator.

I think both of you should head over to Carlisle.  Nephew can sell the Challenger to Jack, and Mike, nephew also has a 340 duster if you like the lime green.

In any case, Carlisle always a great time.

Bob

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 01:35:48 PM »

You haven't lived until you twist a Chrysler E body enough so that the back window leaks without any rust and the car will no longer sit square on a lift.
Anybody remember which mid 70's Chrysler car was a stretched Barracuda/Challenger?
W3SLK

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 03:45:57 PM »

Dave said:
Anybody remember which mid 70's Chrysler car was a stretched Barracuda/Challenger?

That wouldn't have been the Cordoba with the fine Corinthian leather would it?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 04:02:53 PM »

Quote from: W3SLK
Dave said:

That wouldn't have been the Cordoba with the fine Corinthian leather would it?

We have a winner. Send that man one gear reduction starter and a lean burn computer.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »

Cheesy Excellent
W3SLK

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 04:46:32 PM »

There's no par like MOPAR. I'll take them both with a slant six, thank you. Along the same time frame, I always like the look of the Volare'. A friend of mine had one decked out orange with black stripes. It was slightly sporty and slightly stylish.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 05:34:27 PM »

Ah yes, the ol' Mopar gear reduction starter.  You could tell a Mopar sure as hell ina parking lot back then.... EEEE-RIP-RIP-RIP-RIP-RIP...

Miss my '78 Fury 440 police interceptor. :cry:

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
wa2zdy
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 05:36:16 PM »

I had a 79 Cordoba.  I swore it would be the last Chrysler I'd ever own.  What a piece of junk.  EVERYTHING was wrong with that car and what wasn't wrong to start went wrong.

As it happens, I did buy another Chrysler - a 1997 Dodge Omni - brand new.  What a good car that was.  Cheap, simple, sure no AC, but I put 110,000 miles on it in three years with ZERO hassles.  

Since then we've owned two Chrysler minivans.  Junk again.
km1r
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 11:01:10 PM »

I SWEAR I saw the T/A in the parking lot of GATEWAY last weekend...

Could it be?

Mike in CT
KM1R
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 10:38:56 AM »

Here's my favorite......

Extremely cool!!  Cool  Cool  Cool

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 11:09:07 AM »

Quote from: wa2zdy
I had a 79 Cordoba.  I swore it would be the last Chrysler I'd ever own.  What a piece of junk.  EVERYTHING was wrong with that car and what wasn't wrong to start went wrong.

As it happens, I did buy another Chrysler - a 1997 Dodge Omni - brand new.  What a good car that was.  Cheap, simple, sure no AC, but I put 110,000 miles on it in three years with ZERO hassles.  

Since then we've owned two Chrysler minivans.  Junk again.

I owned two Chrysler mini vans. 85-90. The 85 version had a 2.2 4 cyl with a 5 speed on the floor :lol:  I only had some carb. problems but otherwise it was reliable. Trades it for a 90 Grand Caravan with a 3.3 v6. Very comfotable and after 256k traded it for a 99 GMC Safari/Astro Van. It was the freakin worst thing I had ever owned with 4 wheels on it. 2 trannies and 3 rearends. Electrical problems door handles you name it. At 60k (end of warrenty) the engine puked a rod. GM would not even go half way with the repair. Unloaded it for a Ford Focus. After 51K no problems... Ill never buy GM ever again.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W3SLK

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 12:44:45 PM »

Ahhhh yes. Nothing like a Super Bird along with the trade mark 'Beep Beep' horn. Old Wile E. would have a hell of time digging up something from ACME to catch that! A fellow I was in the Navy with had two of those, a couple Super Bees and a few GTX's parked in his backyard. People drop them like bad habbits when the gas crunch hit. He was Mr. MOPAR. When I had my Dart, he contacted his friend at Chrysler HQ to find out the latest data to improve it. I was going to remove the Thermo-Quad and put a Holley 650 on it. He told me there wasn't much to improve the breathing shy of placing a blower on so I kept the Carter and put a set of headers on it instead.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 05:16:10 PM »

I still have (and always will have) a '66 Yew Norker coupe with a 440, stock Carter AFB, dual exhaust, power everybody, a/c,etc. It runs like a champ, but is no hot rod due to the large size and weight of the car. It handles surprisingly well thanks to Chryslers' torsion bar front suspension. Why did they ever do away with that?

You gotta admit: The older MOPARS were terrific cars and are a joy to drive. They always had extra care in engineering, like the slogan said. From the venerable flathead six to the 426 HEMI. You just gotta love 'em!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 06:13:57 PM »

Quote from: N9NEO
If you go to Carlisle this weekend check out my nephew's two cars.

1966 black Belvedere with 426 hemi & 1971ish Challenger T/A.  Challenger is pukey olive green color.

Hope WX cooperates for all the gearheads.

Bob

MOPARS. Breakfast for champions.  Cheesy
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 06:25:51 PM »

Afternoon Gents.

Has anyone looked at the prices lately..Sheez to think what some of that stuff went for, it would be an insult to tell some of the owners today what we paid then..Chuckle chuckle... Cheesy

I Miss my Challenger....
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 12:08:03 PM »

You nailed it, John - my dad had several Chrysler products when I was a kid, a Fury III, Satellite, and Coronet 440. All had the great little 318 and made that same starter noise. Heard one the other day and said to my girlfriend "that sounds like a Chrysler product starter". Was right, too.

Some of the strangest things stay with us throughout the years. We picked up a nice 1950 Lincoln last fall with the 337 flathead V8 in it, but I'll always have a warm spot in my heart for the MOPAR rides. Would love to find one of those early 60s Sport Furys with the monster engine. Was it a 383?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015