The AM Forum
July 27, 2024, 02:44:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry 1KD-5 10 Meter Mod  (Read 976 times)
KA8WTK
Contributing

« on: January 18, 2024, 03:30:41 PM »

Howdy,
  I have a Henry 1KD-5 amp I would like to "activate" on 10 meters. I use the word activate as the radio has the needed 10 meter coils and such in it, they were just never connected except for in exported radios. So, a schematic for an export radio would help, but better would be first hand experience from one of you.            Has anyone here added 10 meters to a 1KD-5?

Thanks,
          Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:00:40 PM »

Hey Bill........ it may be as easy as removing a stop on the bandswitch indexer. My 2K Classic doesn't have 10 meters indicated on the band switch but goes one click past 15 meters.
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 05:35:29 PM »

The 1kd5s were popular with the 11 meter crowd.  Be careful with the power transformer. It is both plate and filament and is no longer easy to find.  I bought one of  these amps at Hosstraders years ago, knowing that it had a missing transformer and other faults, and just getting around to finding a new transformer and changing the rig to voltage doubler supply with new capacitors and rectifiers.  It'll follow a Hermes board on 80 and 40 meters for AM, probably no more than 100 watts carrier, just to play nice with it.
I found a chicken bander site with readable schamatics:
https://cbtricks.org/Amp/henry_radio/1kd5/index.html

74 de Norm W1ITT
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 05:14:05 AM »

Be careful of some of the schematics on cbtricks.

Not all of them are, shall we say, accurate.  But, when the site was being put together by Billy and a few others of us, it's all we had to go on.  During the redraw errors popped up, and some errors made it through the editing.

Billy is MIA so nobody has admin access to the site to make changes anymore.

In the beginning their where DVDs, we made service manuals up for stuff that never had them, etc.  Was a lot of fun.

Just caveat emptor.  I don't believe there are any errors on the Henry stuff, just do a sanity check before any wires get cut, etc!

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 10:34:54 AM »

A schematic is not a problem. I have the original owners manual and schematic.
 The 2K switch goes past 15, but unless someone connected the 10 meter coil and added/changed one of the mica caps in there it won't work on 10. There is a lot of stuff on the web about converting the 2kd unit to 10. I can't find anything on the 1kd. And yes, you remove the stop on the band switch the 1kd and you have a 10 meter position, but the coil is not wired to the switch and no mention in the manual about what you may need for 10 meters.
  I am now searching the 11 meter sites to see if I can find anything.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015