The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:59:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need another Volunteer(s) For Homebrew Reciever  (Read 5802 times)
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:05:37 PM »

Good Evening All,

I was wondering if anyone would like to offer up a Homebrew Reciever for the AM Handbook.

All entrys would be very wellcome...

Thanks .
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 07:37:17 PM »

THe one I built is NOT very conducive to someone building a copy.  I used a bank of Racal crapstal filters, a heavy milspec silver (not just plated) tuning cap, etc.  Despite popular misconception, building a receiver isn't that hard.  But a lot depends on the components you have access to.  

Perhaps a receiver using the IF xformers, etc., from a AA5 would be a good project.  3 IF stages would provide decent selectivity and good AVC range.

If I ever get some time I'll work on it.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:46:57 PM »

Thank You John, Very much... Cheesy
wavebourn
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:55:35 PM »

Active loop?

http://wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

Soft - starting power supply?

http://wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2143#2143
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 08:15:53 PM »

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-
Good Evening All,

I was wondering if anyone would like to offer up a Homebrew Reciever for the AM Handbook.

All entrys would be very wellcome...

Thanks .

How about a simple regen?
I have plenty examples and schematics for that.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »

Hi Tolly  Cheesy  and Bruce if you would like to bring them in and do a small article of reference to help the newer guys along it would be Wonderful, and many thanks...

The thing is we're building this along the lines of new hands coming in and giving it a try.

I had to edit this, Guys i can't begin to say how appreciative I am for all the Input and data coming in, So the way i'd like to say thanks is by the messages that i am recieving whether through PM here or on the phone from interested Amateurs watching this unfold.

So For them and Me Thanks Guys.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 03:38:51 PM »

I think the regen Idea as some merit.  They are usually simple to build, and have decent performance either in the Glass or sand state versions.
Plus they Historical/nostalgia value of a 'gennie. Cheesy  

There is a Design by WD4nka ( I think) he called the Regenerodyne. Uses an LO& Mixer to convert to a 2.5mc IF  that feeds a regenerative detector.
not to complicated but has decent performance and multi-band capability.

Something to think about.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K8SWL
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 10:41:18 PM »

A couple thoughts.

How about a converter? 75/40 Meters to AM broadcastband. Feed the converter to either a home stereo system or a car radio.

The AM portion of the home stereo may not offer enough selectivity, but for someone starting out it might be an economical way to listen in and develope more interest.

More years ago than I care to remember, I built converters for 10 and 40 meters that fed into a late 50's Oldsmobile car radio on the bench. Lashed together mess but worked quite well.

Once a converter is built, adding an IF,detector, BFO and audio and a complete receiver is built. A modular approach might be a good route to go.

Just some thoughts
Mike K8SWL
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 11:13:13 PM »

Ramsey sells a kit that does this.
ka0pad
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 04:39:24 PM »

Horst, wa0nuh, has an excellent regen project in the latest ER that just arrived. titled 'A receiver for the Beginner?' Looks great.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015