The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:04:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Kept Us Informed During Sandy!  (Read 4580 times)
KC2UDZ

« on: November 08, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »

When all other means of communications were failing Kerri and I kept informed about local conditions on uhf vhf and hf. Local radio stations that were still working were playing music with very limited info coming in, cable was out, electric was out, cell coverage was useless if at all working. My kids finally understand what we do with our corny radios and the importance of having a personalized means of communications. All that said i hope someone on AM Phone has the means to publish the importance of ham radio in the modern world.     Ken KC2UDZ
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »

Ken,

One of my longest and best Ham Radio friends is Bob, N2HM who lives very close to your QTH.  He operates WYRS and WLNJ and one of his frustrations during the storm is getting information.  We had quite a long talk about this yesterday.  He is pleading with town officials to send him information so he can put it on air.  With his 2 stations along with a translator he has a pretty good coverage pattern. 
He had so much water at the main WYRS site that he has been operating with his back-up transmitter which located at on the WJRZ property. 

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KC2UDZ

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

Hi Joe, Hope all is well, One thing i learned from this disaster is dont rely on any commercial resources. They were unprepared and not very well informed, We were in contact with our ham equipment with people on the move during the storm dealing with horrible conditions but still getting reports. Kerri and I also got involved helping other people affected as the reports came in via uhf on private owned repeaters running on generators and or batteries. Garretts repeater my 10 year old KD2CCF was operational through some of the storm till his antenna was damaged then we went to backup. He was quite proud as a new ham operator that he was able to provide real time info to other hams moving around trying to help other people. I still have to see if i can repair his super stationmaster or try to find him another one he was worried when this noreaster was coming in that he could not help anyone hes a great new ham and im proud of him for caring. So theres the info i have and what was going on in a real disaster.  Ken KC2UDZ   PS Tried getting in on your repeater no luck ill try again
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »

Ken I'm glad to hear that you and Kerri & the family came out okay.

One outlet that could tell the story about how radio hobbyists did better than commercial media keeping you informed is Bill Pasternak's Amateur Radio Newsline.

He has compiled a number of stories already but I bet Garrett's participation is especially newsworthy.

Consider giving him a call.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

Hi Joe, Hope all is well, One thing i learned from this disaster is dont rely on any commercial resources. They were unprepared and not very well informed, We were in contact with our ham equipment with people on the move during the storm dealing with horrible conditions but still getting reports. Kerri and I also got involved helping other people affected as the reports came in via uhf on private owned repeaters running on generators and or batteries. Garretts repeater my 10 year old KD2CCF was operational through some of the storm till his antenna was damaged then we went to backup. He was quite proud as a new ham operator that he was able to provide real time info to other hams moving around trying to help other people. I still have to see if i can repair his super stationmaster or try to find him another one he was worried when this noreaster was coming in that he could not help anyone hes a great new ham and im proud of him for caring. So theres the info i have and what was going on in a real disaster.  Ken KC2UDZ   PS Tried getting in on your repeater no luck ill try again

Ken,

Yes, we were very lucky during the storm and had no damage and only lost power for a very short period of time.

I will gladly donate a Hustler G-6 which is (2) 5/8 in phase to the cause.  I am sure it would work well for the repeater at least on a temporary basis. 

My repeater is on 146.985, minus offset with a PL of 100 Hz.  It quite a distance from you but Frank, WA3JBT gets into it from Elmer, NJ full quieting.  So with a beam you may be able to access it.  Its about 20 miles east of Lancaster, PA.   I formerly used Super Station Masters, but have switched to Hustler G7's and they work very well and last much longer than the Station Master antennas.  The repeater is up around 1100' which is high for our area and gets quite brutal weather. Those Station Masters tend to break where the collinear hard-line sections are soldered together and unless the antenna is side mounted and supported with the extension arm at the top they are prone to failure.  When they fail it almost sounds like guy wire noise but its actually the arcing and sparking from the microscopic breaks within the antenna. 

I think Bob, N2HM is pretty involved in the 835 repeater down in your area. 

It sounds like your Son is doing great!  Good kid for sure!!

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »

When all other means of communications were failing Kerri and I kept informed about local conditions on uhf vhf and hf.

I learned a lot from listening to the 2 meter / 440 repeaters in New Jersey and New York over the past week.  There were people clearly reporting who did and didn't have power, where gas was available, what areas were hardest hit, etc.

On the other hand the local radio and TV stations spent way to much time endlessly repeating bits about the crane on 57th street in Manhattan, repeating the same shot of the same beach front homes and searching out people for quotes about how awful the storm was.  Seems like they're more focused on fodder for ratings and dont care about actually helping folks that desperately need information.  But thats not a shock to anyone is it?

--- Post No Bills ---
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »

Hey Ken,

Glad you came out ok.
Was thinking of you when I saw where the storm was going.
Did you get any flood conditions where you were?
Damage?

Great story there on ur son and the repeater.

I want to tell everyone who reads this, that THIS is THE TIME to go and SELL
AMATERUR RADIO TO YOUR LOCAL POLITICIANS!!

Why?

Because these are the dolts who blindly put ANTENNA RESTRICTIONS into the Local Building & Zoning Code!!

We need to help and generate Zoning Code/Regulations with specific EXEMPTIONS for Amateur Radio!!

Go for it now. While people still have the taste of this in their mouths.

_-_-bear

PS. the modification to the existing code can be this simple:

"Towers and Antennas erected by licensed Amateur Radio operators shall be exempt from this law [regulation]."

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »

I listened to NJ 101.5 Trenton and WCTC 1450 New Brunswick for the majority of my updates on what was what around the state. I also had the portable scanner programmed for the local fire, police, and emergency frequencies. I found these sources a lot more informing and useful then any of the amateur repeaters that might have been in operation.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »

The repeater should be back to normal now. In case you missed anything:

Basic Marinara Sauce

2  yellow onions, peeled and diced (about 2 cups diced)
2 Tbsp olive oil
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp dried herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc)* mixed, total
1/2 cup red wine***
12 cups peeled and seeded fresh ripe tomatoes**
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil. Add the onions and cook slowly, on medium heat until they start to caramelize. They should be evenly brown and soft. Cooking them this way brings out the natural sweetness in the onions. Add the garlic and dried herbs and cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the 1/2 cup of red wine and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and their juice and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook on low, stirring occasionally for at least 2 hours, or longer depending on the water content of the tomatoes. The sauce should be thick with much of the water evaporated to concentrate the flavor (sometimes I let it cook 4-5 hours over a very low flame). Add salt and pepper to taste.

KC2UDZ

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »

The repeater should be back to normal now. In case you missed anything:

Basic Marinara Sauce

2  yellow onions, peeled and diced (about 2 cups diced)
2 Tbsp olive oil
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp dried herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc)* mixed, total
1/2 cup red wine***
12 cups peeled and seeded fresh ripe tomatoes**
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil. Add the onions and cook slowly, on medium heat until they start to caramelize. They should be evenly brown and soft. Cooking them this way brings out the natural sweetness in the onions. Add the garlic and dried herbs and cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the 1/2 cup of red wine and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and their juice and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook on low, stirring occasionally for at least 2 hours, or longer depending on the water content of the tomatoes. The sauce should be thick with much of the water evaporated to concentrate the flavor (sometimes I let it cook 4-5 hours over a very low flame). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Got that one last week but i didnt use salt.... Grin You High Frequency Hater!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015