The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:51:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15-meter POTA SSB population  (Read 378 times)
W7NGA

« on: April 23, 2024, 12:41:59 PM »

Anyone else notice that 21.420-21.440 MHz is being used now by the POTA regularly? I understand due to the lack of AM activity, not that there is a shortage of spectrum on 15-meters, but after calling CQ AM on 21.430 I was asked, on SSB, to please QSY as this was a POTA frequency and there was to be scheduled activities within the hour. Wait ... what? Sigh ...

I'm not implying that POTA needs to move, but that more AM activity might allow for squatters rights! Shocked

W7NGA
Seaside, Oregon
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 02:05:16 PM »

There are not any POTA" frequencies. That station claiming POTA chose that frequency and most likely had sent it out on mail lists etc. On the other hand, ARRL does not specify an AM frequency on 15. So, I guess it is first come, first serve.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 02:17:17 PM »

The "X"OTA activity is getting more annoying then the digital stuff. There are no designated or assigned frequencies for this activity. When I'm going to call CQ on AM, I generally ask if the frequency is in use on SSB first. Getting no response after generally two tries, I switch to AM and do my thing.

I've had this confrontation several times over the last several months around 14.330 MHz both on AM and SSB. Generally, unless they're causing me QRM, I try to ignore them.

These "X"OTA participants seem to be more  "into frequency control"! i.e. "It's our frequency; hit the road!"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W7NGA

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 03:06:30 PM »

Funny .. even the ARRL has removed the de facto 21.430 MHz AM Calling frequency from their "The Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide". It is nice, however, to have a target frequency where one might expect to have activity and have others listening in hopes of a CQ (or to call CQ). Perhaps with spectrum displays, finding an AM signal is far easier. I will freely admit to briefly calling CQ quite wide, very briefly, just to have folks come up and investigate the crazy looking signal they are seeing on their panadapters. It is not unusual to hear that I am the first AM contact on their new 7300!

* Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 11.53.31.png (444.28 KB, 1326x1832 - viewed 32 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 05:16:19 PM »

You said: "Funny .. even the ARRL has removed the de facto 21.430 MHz AM Calling frequency"

I don't remember the ARRL ever Id'ing an AM "Calling Frequency" for 15 meters. I still have a chart I printed from back around 2008 or 2009. Nothing on there, Just like there's no "AM Calling Frequency" for 10 meters either. There's a range: 29.0 to 29.2 MHz.

Now during the last cycle, when there was abundant AM activity on 15 meters, "we", in a number of forum discussions, sort of identified a range from roughly 21.415 to 21.440 MHz where AM could be found.

However, even on the AMWindow web site: AM Frequencies 15 Meters: 21.285, 21.425

Note that on 20 meters, the "AM Calling Frequency" identified by the ARRL for years is 14.286 MHz which is 1 KHz away from the QRP Calling Frequency and a bunch of other activity that always seems to be around that frequency. This is why, years ago, most of us moved up to around 14.330 MHz for AM activities. However, this is now the same area where you'll find a lot of "X"OTA activities too.

Life can be rough. Grab that big knob and tune that radio; AM isn't that difficult to find  Roll Eyes

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W7NGA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 09:05:34 AM »

Threaded my way through the POTA SSB and had a lovely chat with John, G3YPZ on 21.420 yesterday around noon.
Things are brewing ... give a listen.

W7NGA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015