The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:58:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen Rotary Switches  (Read 2959 times)
n8fvj

« on: August 11, 2023, 09:14:32 AM »

I have five frozen rotary switches on a radio. Interesting the chassis and other parts show no corrosion. The switches would not move at all, Then, after 24 hour PB Blaster application I can get the shafts to turn with a pair of plyers, cannot feel the switches detents. Any idea how to further free up?
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 09:41:38 AM »

Several other threads have dealt with this. The consensus seems to be to use the right solvent, patience, and perseverance.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=42641.0
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=47697.0
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=36900.0
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=5056.0
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=34232.0

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
n8fvj

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 06:26:33 PM »

I guess next best option is to heat the collars with a soldering gun then apply PB Blaster. Many take a week of treatments. But at least i got switch movement vs none after two treatments within 24 hours.
W1ITT

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 08:49:00 PM »

My new choice for loosening stuck things is a product called Super Zilla.  It's one of those as-seen-on-TV things, but it really does work..better than PB and better than DeepCreep.  And it doesn't stink.  For switches, I 'd squirt some into a thimble then apply it carefully with a toothpick to just where it needs to go.  It's water soluble and supposedly pretty innocuous in the environment but I'd be careful around phenolic wafers as it might soak in and make them soft.  It's great on wheel lugs that haven't been removed for a year or so as well.
73 de Norm W1ITT
n8fvj

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 09:01:27 PM »

Expensive tiny bottle with eye dropper at $19. But if PB Blaster does not work well enough, I will try it. Thanks.
KA2PTE
KA2PTE

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 09:31:57 PM »

50/50 Acetone and ATF, never heard of that before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNhItP85Tkc

==================
EF Johnson RF Tube Linears
==================
https://groups.io/g/johnson-tube-linears
W1ITT

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 09:44:40 PM »

Jim...  I paid closer to $42 for the quart bottle with the pump spray.  Price has gone up.  But it has cleaned up my language a bit so I'm not sorry.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204411874070?epid=1719608133&hash=item2f97e5ab16:g:KnIAAOSw2glkxP1d&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0IdTJlxxScbWEHVBq9e5DWwIxoFo3hIg1ojokLXgTA3aDK0Empoy2dyE30beyg2IljIf1uvOGMM%2FJP3wye6Sl%2BgVVAnZLf%2B9ak2HZ7IrjtVDaB4zSyc9k%2BkUTdQyGoPasjf6IWWJJMq1sv%2BjatRC3ufE1AT7z9qrIMCDlZML%2FJ8HRzeY1TqemQjHRcuQlWPDO%2F6nqC0yYDKTln%2Fp2gerGj7oIEJ0YMFATdCSsmXenScYnsldfHC2Cui2HOoYAF643G2V5lxC%2BbbmR1QFYTiPfFM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5TIt_a8Yg
Heck of a URL but that's one example on Fleabay.
73 de Norm W1ITT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 09:59:06 PM »

Superzilla - Small Bottle

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
n8fvj

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 11:37:01 PM »

As I previously stated in earlier post Pete. Thanks. $19 a bottle.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 01:43:11 AM »

And I posted, same stuff in small bottle for $6.95

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
n8fvj

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2023, 03:58:51 AM »

And I posted, same stuff in small bottle for $6.95

Oh it is a link. Total is $13.59 with shipping. I bought a bottle and will switch to this vs the PB Blaster. Thanks.
n8fvj

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 10:11:50 AM »

4 or 5 switches move with a pair of channel lock plyers after three treatments of PB Blaster. I wait for Super Zella arrival. I will heat the collars before applying Super Zella. This is one resistant radio!
Amazon order is usually quick same day shipping with two day arrival. The Super Zella did not ship for one day, states arrive as late as one week from this Wednesday.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 02:18:09 PM »

The grease in the detent assembly (spring steel wafer against ball bearings) usually hardens so I wash them out with CAIG Degreaser Wash and then re-grease (sparingly) with CAIG SM22-N1 grease.  

Consider that you usually have an aluminum shaft rotating inside a steel collar (a bushing). I have found that small aluminum particles slough off and get wedged between the shaft and the bushing. I then use multiple applications of CAIG F100L-L25C fader lube to "wash-out" the shaft.

I have never used Superzilla lube but that appears to be one viable solution as well.

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 11:49:33 PM »

I gave SuperZilla a shot in my shop, and it has displaced every penetrating oil in my cabinet.

I've never seen anything work so fast and thoroughly on stuck stuff.

Makes a great cleaning solution as well for nasty, greasy crap that always seems to congregate in radio gear.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
n8fvj

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 03:19:16 PM »

Superzilla did not work on shafts, had to return the eBay Ranger for refund. I bought another Ranger.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2023, 12:49:10 AM »

Did the seller not indicate the shafts were stuck or difficult? Shame on them.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
n8fvj

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 05:13:38 AM »

They normally do not sell radios, he never checked the shafts. Dumb. He lost his shirt as the shipping was listed at $50 (my payment) and I know cost $130 and then eBasy seller had to pay again $130 to ship back. I bought it due to seller stated 30 days return. Even worst, feeling sorry for the good guy seller I offered to sell parts from the Ranger for immediate $200 (already sold to others) and had another $150 for sale plus no return shipping cost. I would send the sold funds to his PayPal and ship from my location. He turned the offer down- go figure!

I normally do not buy Ham gear from eBayers. But, waited a month for a Ranger and not one came up for sale under $600 from a Ham radio person. Then, finally found a reasonable cost Ranger from a Ham I bought 4 days ago to replace this frozen shaft Ranger from eBay. The Ranger I bought for $130 + $130 shipping failed dim bulb test. Ham checked internal mounted fuse and it was good, but seller does not have any technical skills. It may have a dirty switch or bad power transformer. So, I gamble on it and if xfmr is bad, xfmr new from Heyboer is $270. I have a wanted Ranger xfmr ad on QTH hoping to buy for $50. The Ranger looks like new so I 'gambled' on it.
n8fvj

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 08:43:11 AM »

They normally do not sell radios, he never checked the shafts. Dumb. He lost his shirt as the shipping was listed at $50 (my payment) and I know cost $130 and then eBasy seller had to pay again $130 to ship back. I bought it due to seller stated 30 days return. Even worst, feeling sorry for the good guy seller I offered to sell parts from the Ranger for immediate $200 (already sold to others) and had another $150 for sale plus no return shipping cost. I would send the sold funds to his PayPal and ship from my location. He turned the offer down- go figure!

I normally do not buy Ham gear from eBayers. But, waited a month for a Ranger and not one came up for sale under $600 from a Ham radio person. Then, finally found a reasonable cost Ranger from a Ham I bought 4 days ago to replace this frozen shaft Ranger from eBay. The Ranger I bought for $130 + $130 shipping failed dim bulb test. Ham checked internal mounted fuse and it was good, but seller does not have any technical skills. It may have a dirty switch or bad power transformer. So, I gamble on it and if xfmr is bad, xfmr new from Heyboer is $270. I have a wanted Ranger xfmr ad on QTH hoping to buy for $50. The Ranger looks like new so I 'gambled' on it.
Update. Bad diode on SS 6AX5. This Ranger has been rebuilt with new capacitors and has push to talk mod. All tubes look new. Steal for $160.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015