The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:26:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Ranger Modulator Tube Screen Regulation  (Read 1078 times)
n8fvj

« on: July 29, 2023, 11:33:54 PM »

I read many complaints of resistor R35 that provides the 1614 tube screen regulation very poor in design in the Johnson Ranger transmitter.. Why has not anyone used zeners in series to hard regulate the modulator tube screens? Simply adjust the R35 voltage a little higher than normal and use zeners in series to regulate voltage to the tube screens. The 1614 screen in the Ranger is about 280 to 300 volts and draws 20ma for two tubes.

Twenty (20) transorb 1N5359B 24 volt 5 watt zener each are $2.95. Use 12 in series for 288 volts screen voltage. That is 60 watts of zener dissipation, but I would derate to 30 watts and I believe that is enough dissipation. Install a small capacitor of 10uF to clean up any zener noise and perhaps install new metal film 2% 100 ohm resistors to each screen. Due to some extra heat, mount on top of chassis. I am not a great tech, but do understand electronic circuits.

Note- I also read the LV 30uF cap produces 17 volts of AC ripple that is too high. Install a 100 ohm resistor after a new 33uF cap and add another 33uF cap. AC ripple is now about 4 volts and the 120 volts into the 115 volt transformer produces the same original design voltage with the 100 ohm voltage drop (about 10 volts)..
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 09:00:55 AM »

I’ve used Zeners in series, but not directly, for various circuit. Many others, too, in particular W9JSW even made up pc boards for this…
Using the diodes as a reference and a mosfet for a pass element. I got my mosfets from a busted 85” LCD tv (shipper said scrap it after they bent it into a curve, so I did…)
See schematic below.

Ed

* AM-40-PSU-Section.pdf (32.14 KB - downloaded 93 times.)

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 12:42:41 PM »

I read many complaints of resistor R35 that provides the 1614 tube screen regulation very poor in design in the Johnson Ranger transmitter.. Why has not anyone used zeners in series to hard regulate the modulator tube screens? Simply adjust the R35 voltage a little higher than normal and use zeners in series to regulate voltage to the tube screens. The 1614 screen in the Ranger is about 280 to 300 volts and draws 20ma for two tubes.

Twenty (20) transorb 1N5359B 24 volt 5 watt zener each are $2.95. Use 12 in series for 288 volts screen voltage. That is 60 watts of zener dissipation, but I would derate to 30 watts and I believe that is enough dissipation. Install a small capacitor of 10uF to clean up any zener noise and perhaps install new metal film 2% 100 ohm resistors to each screen. Due to some extra heat, mount on top of chassis. I am not a great tech, but do understand electronic circuits.

Note- I also read the LV 30uF cap produces 17 volts of AC ripple that is too high. Install a 100 ohm resistor after a new 33uF cap and add another 33uF cap. AC ripple is now about 4 volts and the 120 volts into the 115 volt transformer produces the same original design voltage with the 100 ohm voltage drop (about 10 volts)..

Update: Here are three circuits which can be used to regulate screen voltages in Rangers I and II. Except for the external power resistors, all components can be fit on a 2X2" vector board.

* Screen Voltage Reguklators for Rangers.pdf (113.64 KB - downloaded 37 times.)

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015