The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:13:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sussex Hamfest Reminder July 16, 2023  (Read 1946 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: July 03, 2023, 05:46:06 PM »

Just a reminder that Sussex hamfest is less then 2 weeks away. If you plan to go, bring walking shoes, a big brim hat, water, and money. This hamfest seems to grow with each passing year.
http://www.scarcnj.org/hamfest.html

I will be inside, as always, generally at the far right corner area as you walk through the building doors facing the outside flea market area.

I still have to be somewhat careful in lifting heavy stuff after my recent hernia operation, but I know there will be two boxes of original manuals that are as is and excess to my needs. Also, clearance of a whole bunch of Nifty Accessories quick reference guides and mini-manuals at dirt cheap pricing.
Also will have a bunch of my late friend's electronic items that were part of her estate. All the estate sales will be donated to her favorite charity.

Come into the building to cool off and stop by and say hello.
However, the wading pool might be in use:

* dogs-cool-1.jpg (41.77 KB, 400x278 - viewed 109 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 06:00:13 PM »

Looking forward to seeing you there again, Pete. And yes, definitely, on the wide-brimmed hat. Sunscreen, too.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 08:10:55 PM »

Very cute at the pool! Yall have fun at the fest!

Been cool here this week so far. Only 95/77.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD1SH

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 05:45:11 PM »

Thunderstorms all day long, is the current prediction. The way this summer's been so far, who'd notice? But, thunderstorms often being a spontaneous sort of thing, it's worth a shot; I'll be there.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 09:26:13 AM »

I wanted to go to Sussex this year but it will have to wait until next year. The XYL had a revision surgery and I could find myself at the mercy of a mad Colombiana!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KD1SH

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 03:35:16 PM »

I was there. Rained, thundered; downright poured most of the way down, but when we got to the fairgrounds at 06:30 it was just occasional light sprinkles. Vendor turnout inside the building was pretty good, considering, but outside was probably ten percent of the usual vendor attendance.
  We left at 09:45 when it looked like the rain was going to pick up again, and drove through some torrential downpours on the way back to CT. Disappointing, but not a complete washout. Sold a few things I wanted to get rid of, bought a couple of nice oil-filled caps and two brand-new 4CX400A's, so it wasn't a total waste.
  Couldn't help but think of Andy, WA2CDL—he's always been a fixture at Sussex.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 08:57:38 PM »

Had a squall sit over Sayreville late Saturday afternoon. Torrents of rain and wind. The rain filled the street so fast it covered the curb. Gutters couldn't empty fast enough. At times it looked like the house was sitting under a water fall. Several local rivers and streams overflowed their banks blocking some streets.

Called the Hamfest inside coordinator around 7PM and released my two tables. One, I didn't want to get up at 4AM and drive 90 miles one way through rain, possible highway flooding, avoid crazy highway people, possible fog just to unpack my stuff in the rain, drag it inside the building, maybe sell it, stand around for several hours, then reverse the procedure and repeat the 90 mile trip back home.

I left the stuff that I packed for the hamfest in the van. The NJ Antique Radio Club is holding a combo flea market and hamfest in Wall, NJ this coming Saturday. Plus great restaurants are nearby and the Jersey shore is just down the road. And generally no black bears to worry about or other strange creatures except maybe some over zealous attendees. They also hold a walk around auction later in the morning.

NJ Antique Radio Club flea market  & hamfest

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KD1SH

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 10:50:57 AM »

I don't blame you for backing out, Pete. I always ride down there with a friend, and we both decided it to chance it, but if it was just me making that 180 mile trip by myself in conditions like that, I wouldn't have done it.
  On the roads not far from the fairgrounds we saw streams and brooks roaring with whitewater, flooded farmland, and a lot of storm debris—rocks and gravel and sand—washed into the roads.
  Highway travel on the way back was often reduced to a standstill in driving rain squalls, with numerous accident scenes along the way, and even a few toppled trees blocking lanes. It's normally a three-and-a-half hour ride, but it was well over four hours this time.
  There's always next year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015