The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:53:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVM HP 972A sticky rubber gasket strip  (Read 1276 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: June 11, 2023, 09:09:36 PM »

The rubber strip in my HP 972A DVM has gotten sort of sticky and slimy-feeling lately.

The gasket can be taken off or put back on after the unit is opened to replace the battery. Then the yellow cover there goes on over the whole thing to protect it. The cover is a diofferent material and not affected by whatever has messed up the gasket strip.

It's to the point where I have to clean my hands after using the DVM. So, it has been in hot/cold/humid/dry environment, which could be the cause, or maybe it's just slowly rotting, though the DVM itself is >10 years old, and this problem just came up in the last 6 months.

I've tried various methods of cleaning the gasket strip, but none have worked, and it's still sticky. I hate sticky. Has anyone else faced this issue and 'repaied' the strip? I guess a new one might be found, but why replace if it's not necessary and can be treated or cleaned?

* HP-972A-DVM_0.jpg (57.83 KB, 436x800 - viewed 128 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 06:41:28 AM »

The rubber is devulcanizing. Try ammonia or something with ammonia in it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wa2tak

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 08:28:40 AM »

You might see if a rectangular shaped "O-ring" will work.
If necessary, you can cut it 'to size'...and use Super glue to join the cut edges.
https://www.grainger.com/search/hardware/o-rings-and-o-ring-kits/o-rings?attrs=Cross+Section+Shape%7CRectangular&filters=attrs&searchQuery=rubber+o+ring&sst=4&tv_optin=true
PE9ZZ

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 10:30:50 AM »

Some synthetic rubbers/plastics get sticky due to the chemicals detoriorating. I've had an ebook reader that got all sticky and yucky. Eventually had to dismantle it, rub the plastic casing with soap (dishwashing liquid) to get the sticky rubbery coating off. Something like that might work with your rubber bumper. If nothing works make a new bumper from a rubber ring cut to size like suggested above.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 02:33:23 PM »

"Goo Gone" is citrus based and works very well to cut that sticky substance.  Then mild dish detergent finishes the job.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 11:20:04 PM »

Thanks for these suggestions! soon as I can get back out there I can get it and try them!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015