The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:55:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Ranger or Ranger 2... possible Two Yaesu FT-102s and VFO for trade.  (Read 1406 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: February 07, 2022, 06:53:58 PM »

CANCEL  - Change of Plans...

WANTED:    Johnson Ranger or Ranger 2.    Looking for a very clean (cosmetically) Ranger.  I plan to replace the audio section with a solid state power board and high-end Hammond mod transformer, so a Ranger with blown audio components is OK. (bad mod xfmr, driver xfmr, bad audio tubes, etc. are OK)  It does not have to be working, though I don't want a unit with critical problems like broken ceramic rotary wafers or missing parts, knobs, rust, dents, scrapes, etc.

I am willing to pick up or meet within 100 miles of Hartford.

I can pay cash, but first would like to see if anyone would be interested in a  trading deal if they have a very mint Ranger (or one already restored in a pro manner, recapped, Chernobyl resistor replaced, PTT, repainted, rescreened, etc...) .... in exchange for my TWO  Yaesu FT-102s and the matching outboard digital VFO or what have you?   The FT-102s both have the W3DUQ hi-fi AM audio mods and are exceptionally clean cosmetically. Both units worked FB 5 years ago when taken out of service.  I upgraded to an FT-1000D and SDR. They have been stored in my warm and dry closet without activity for 5 years.  I paid $400 each for them and see they still sell for this on eBay. The outboard digital VFO works FB and is getting rare to find. I owned four units before selling off two a few years ago... IE I really like these rigs. The receiver is similar to an FT-1000D in design.

If you have a clean, restored Ranger for a swap as described  (or prefer cash for whatever condition)  let me know via PM on this BB.  Let's make a deal.

Thanks.

Tom, K1JJ

Note:  If  I get no response locally, I will entertain shipping, but last resort... :-)

* Yaesu FT-102.jpg (192.24 KB, 1100x513 - viewed 228 times.)

* FV-102DM.jpg (32.94 KB, 500x410 - viewed 220 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 12:02:30 AM »

Update:

After taking a close look at the Ranger's internal construction and considering all the work needed to modify it the way I want, I decided to build my own "Ranger III" from scratch. I think I can do a better job and make it more reliable.

I ordered a new 17"long  X 15" deep X 6" high Bud aluminum chassis and gathered the parts from the cellar to pretty much do the job. Lots of room underneath (6" high chassis) to mount parts.  It will have a 6146B in class C, a Hammond 1628SE 30W hi-fi mod xfmr and an 85W solid state audio modulator board. I might even series modulate it with IGBTs and get rid of all audio transfomers; not sure yet.   I will be using a DDS VFO  and three beer can HV filter caps as well as a Varaic - and a step-start for the HV. The supply will provide HV up to about 850V at 300 mA, overkill, though I need only about 650V at 140 mA max.  If series modulated, I can go with a bridge and generate 1500V.  The tank circuit is built more for a Valiant than a Ranger using bigger parts.

I'll start a new construction thread when I make some progress.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015