The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:24:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Collins 30 L-1 amplifier for AM  (Read 4162 times)
ki4nr

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2023, 07:06:31 PM »

Oh forgot to add, far as the pre-distortion "pure signal" stuff on SSB goes. The biggest problem on SSB for splatter & distortion is the ALC circuit.  ALC is pubic enemy one on SSB. Some radios are better than others but still an issue. Your 1000D has super clean PA 30 volt finals, drivers, predriver but the ALC circuit spoils it on SSB and yours is one of the better ALC circuits, not singling out your rig. The kenwoods are the worst, overshoot and wide as soon as the ALC engages.

The 1000D and other radios are cleaner with the RF clipper processor " On " at a very low clipping level like 5 db or so and adjusting the drive control for No ALC but still set for good output. My kenwood 940 ( 28.5 V PA ) goes from super clean to a spatter box as soon as the ALC activates. Maybe one day the big three will design some clean ALC circuits.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2023, 04:38:18 AM »

Factory stock transmitters on AM do not perform over 100% positive modulation with less than 100% negative modulation. Your modified transmitters are confusing some Hams.

Factory stock blah blah.

Bullshit.

Just bullshit.

Factory stock TS850SAT.  20 watt carrier.  My voice, on both my powermaster 1 and LP100 (no Bird here on island) show 100 watt carriers.

If I use the DSP100 on it I can see higher peaks from lower carriers.

Again, don't generalize.  You've come on this board and made some generalizations that didn't pan out in the past.  People are trying to educate you.

Even a factory stock cb radio will do over 100 pct positive peaks.  Factory stock.  If the mic is phased correctly.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
VE7RME

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2024, 04:19:52 PM »

I use mine regularly on AM. I use 5 watts carrier input from a Kenwood TS-570D for an output of 40 watts carrier and about 250 watts peak.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015