The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:43:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: high power load resistors  (Read 4283 times)
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« on: February 03, 2021, 10:57:32 PM »

I see where there are 50 Ohm high power (500 W and more) that look like thick film hybrid microcircuits.  has anybody had direct experience with these and can cast light on heat sink requirements  Cool

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Detroit47

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 04:31:23 AM »

I have used them. They are used as deceleration load in DC motor drives. They are in special drives and robots. I just put heat grease on them and sink them to a cabinet or heat sink. I use them for step start resistors aka soft start. If you look at picture there is one mounted to the bottom of cabinet to the right of the transformer.

Johnathan N8QPC

* 20170108_235240_001.jpg (2387.08 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 349 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 03:22:58 PM »

7kv supply at 18kva.  That's a decent supply 😂🤔

--Shane
KD6VXI
Detroit47

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:05:20 PM »

Yeah it runs my SB220 There are three things you can never have to much of. Money, horsepower, and KVA.

N8QPC
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 10:46:31 PM »

I feel ya.  I recently acquired an 50kva xformer.

Didn't mean to, but when they fall in your lap....

--Shane
KD6VXI
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 09:14:37 AM »

--Shane
KD6VXI
If I saw a 50kVa transformer falling towards my lap, I’d get the hell out of the way  ;-)

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 04:06:38 AM »

--Shane
KD6VXI
If I saw a 50kVa transformer falling towards my lap, I’d get the hell out of the way  ;-)

Ed

You do.  This thing is a best, weight in the hundreds of pounds.  Like, heavy enough to snap a U Haul fridge dolly.  U Haul said they never heard of one breaking...  Haha.

208/240 in and 5.4 + 7kv outputs. Was used for a single 4cx15k originally in broadcast service.

I'm guessing it will hold up to a 4-1000 😂 if I ever build a supply around it.

Moved most of the shop today.  Ugghhh, I forgot how much iron I have.  I still have a 6.2kv 3A supply to grab and a plethora of stuff people brought in for repair.  Again, ugggghh.  Two freestanding crankups got moved today, as well.  37 and 52 footers.  I swore I would put them in the air after moving them this time.

One more round trip and it's time to sort things aat the new digs. 

--Shane
KD6VXI
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »

I feel ya.  I recently acquired an 50kva xformer.

I am nut in any wray criticizin anynone who mey have a 50KVA transfermer "fall into their lips" but I ask at what point do we say no to big irons? Is the line off no return two sanity at 1000 KVA? I tuned down a 15000 pound oil filled Westinglouse plated transformer that was manufactured on 1948 because of PCBS's that must have been in it, otherwice I might have taken it to my remoted ham shacker in the mountains of NYS’s? I'm nearly and I'm still collecting parts for that big rig and I cannot be stoped? I feel like Scrooge MCDuck but instead of having a loom filled with coin & cash, I have biger irons etc?   

* index.jpg (11.69 KB, 265x190 - viewed 214 times.)

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »

I see where there are 50 Ohm high power (500 W and more) that look like thick film hybrid microcircuits.  has anybody had direct experience with these and can cast light on heat sink requirements  Cool

Yes.

The heatsink requirements will be exactly the same as heatsinks for semiconductors.
If you get the downloaded catalog from a heatsink mfr, like Wakefield, they will have
a complete section with the equations and examples, graphs, of the thermal considerations
for heatsinks. Probably on some websites as calculators and pdfs these days.

I can say from experience, IF you have a small surface area that is supposed to dissipate
a continuous amount of heat - in this case 500 watts - you will need a very low
thermal resistance pathway. Probably natural convection will be insufficient, even with
a very large heatsink - although one would have to run the numbers, and maybe try
a prototype test.

In general, you can take away from the solid state linear guys that you will want a
"copper spreader" between the device and the aluminum heatsink. Flatness counts too.
The copper spreader does just that, with higher thermal conductivity than aluminum, it
serves as a way to make the effective surface area of the device being cooled larger,
so the heatsink works closer to ideal.

The good news is that a reasonably small flow of air is surprisingly more effective than
natural convection. Also natural convection works only if the heatsink fins are properly
oriented and of proper height and spacing. Some heatsinks are actually designed to be
"blown" and do not work as well as one might imagine just looking at them.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015