The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-28A tuning cores  (Read 1496 times)
KK7UV

« on: February 07, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »

While checking over this late-model (1945) unit for repair/restoration needs, I discovered several of the tuning cores are broken and had also been fixed in place with some sort of lacquer.  Evidently someone in the past got too aggressive with a screwdriver.  With a little heat I was able to free all the cores and assess how badly broken some were.  The screw slots are broken off on eight of them and three of those have about half the material remaining at all (assuming all the cores were the same 3/8" long). Before I get too committed to all the other work (replacing caps and resistors, cleaning, etc) I was wondering what my options are.

1.  Hit up the various forums for donor cores.  But, are all the cores interchangeable?  or different mixes?
2.  Buy some new rod material and try to fashion a replacement core of some sort.  But, what material are they (powedered iron, ferrite) and what mix?

Looking for brilliant ideas - or I may have to just return this to the owner with a big shrug.

Detroit47

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »

There are lots of parts available. There are basically large and small coil forms. The later models AKA SX-28a used the small coils. Provide a picture or look at thae SX-28 web sites for explanation.
Make up a list of needs and advertise.

Johnathan N8QPC
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 10:40:54 AM »

When I had a CB repair shop, this was SO common.  I sometimes had to unsolder a coil and remove the torroid insert from the bottom!  I guess seeing the peak reading meter hit 22 watts meant they where getting out better than 16 watts???  Anyway...

If you can still get the radio in alignment with the broken cores, then replacing them is a moot point for the most part.  If not, then as John said, make a list and post it on a forum dedicated to the radio and with all the donor sets available, I'm sure you can piece it back together.....  Just takes time 😁

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015