The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:38:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lever and bezel for large rheostat or switch  (Read 1179 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: November 22, 2020, 11:52:37 PM »

I realize it's an unusual request, but I am looking for a very manly control lever that I could mount in a panel and travels in a slight arc.

It could either be a kind originally with a tap switch or rheostat or other back-end, does not matter too much because there is plenty of room depth-wise and I will rework that area behind the control bezel - it's shaft and mechanics, to make it perform the required functions anyway.

The point is to present a heavy control on the panel. It seems all the junked old incandescent lighting control panels are gone, and 'model train buffs' are going after the control stands from locomotives and paying crazy money.

Following are pictures of the two best examples I'm aware of from which such masterful control levers can be had from junk or scrap, or surplus reasonable.
It's totally justified to have a good looking frankenstein control, because 20-30KW being managed. And artistic license anyway, most important.

Locomotive electric controls lever example:
--> The largest red handled control - the locomotive throttle. - the size I'm looking for. The switches etc behind that lever are not that big and can be reworked to a small single unit.
The small one above it is a switch mechanism, more complicated to convert to my needs.
The small one below it with no handle is a center-off type switch used for forward-reverse -and the handle is removable for safety/security reasons.
That whole sub-panel comes off. Images:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/UP_Centennial_control_stand.jpg
Here's a better idea of the removable panel.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/emd-diesel-locomotive-controller-522228461

-->The lighting rheostats control handles example - In high school we had this kind of thing but on a much smaller scale - before SCR dimmers. Good handles on those as well. Just one of the smaller units -about the same size as the throttle lever on the EMD loco panel.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-digIj0-xcEs/VHdcMA-Q7cI/AAAAAAAANFM/uacyF3BvafI/s1600/ROXY%2BMARQUEE%2B1979%2BNO%2B2.jpg

Anyone next to a decent junk yard of like items? Nothing here in Dallas I can find!
(Automotive shifter has been suggested, but it's not the proper appearance)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015