The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:57:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OLD HP 5245L Nixie Counter  (Read 3560 times)
kc2we

« on: August 30, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »

I have two J38-5245L Frequency counters. Both late 1960's vintage boat anchors.

Front panels are Marked Western electric KS-19714-L1

Both are made by HP for WeCo. They are both a Western Electric variant of HP 5245L Counter

One is sn 544-07029.
One is sn 716-16691

Both have odd ball or modified time base oscillators that differ from “stock HP” 5245L’s, and they have no external time base input provision on the rear panel.

I want to make some mods, but looking for some documentation. Any ideas? Web search had zero results. Anyone with access to KS files?

Tnx,

Seth Taylor
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »

Hello Seth,

Here is a link to the service manual, including schematics.  They are separate pages that may need to be linked together to be usable, they were fold-outs in the original prints.

http://www.kennethkuhn.com/hpmuseum/scans/hp5245l.pdf

I have three HP 5245L counters, working fine with various plug-ins, they are fine instruments.  I have several incomplete units for part supply, and may be able to assist you with your modifications.  Let me know your goals and progess.

Good luck on your project!   Rick

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 06:39:28 PM »

I checked some of the Bell System historical sites that gathered documentation over the years but very little in the way of WECo KS information. Back in the "good old days" many of these "KS" documents were available from the Bell Labs and WECo libraries, but when these locations were being shut down, most of that stuff was discarded to document recycling. You might poke around and see if there's a HP forum for old test equipment. Maybe some one might have some info.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »

Seth,

Check your PMs, and let me know.

Mike.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
KA3EKH

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »

Not many people into collecting or restoring vintage frequency counters! I have a FR-38 that I did a year or two back but have no real use for it, just remember as a kid hanging out on the MARS station at Dover AFB and they had one there and at the time thought it was the most amazing thing in the world.
Have a video of it at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ka1wwvex5o

MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »

I've had 5245s of one flavor or another for years, and for the last decade or so I've had this 5245M.   These are great counters, and with three plug-ins, you have a universal counter that will measure pulses down to 100nS, count directly up to 18Gigs, or give accurate readings at sub one milli-Volt input levels.

They're old, cheap, and nearly impossible to kill.

HERE.. are some pics of the counter and plug-ins.

Mike KE0ZU

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 06:59:14 PM »

Timing instruments, time and frequency is always fascinating.
I've saved a few of those 'neon decade' types over the years. None are working.. just kept from the trash. Recently saved an H/P clock found at an estate; 3 pcs. the 113BR + 104AR + 724BR. Never saw one of those working.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kc2we

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »

HP clock wud be neat. I plan to use either a GPS disciplined clock for my 5245L or a Rubidium source, divided down from 10 MHz down to 1 MHz for the 1 MHz external input. ST

Seth Taylor
WB3JOK

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 10:25:32 PM »

I love my 5245L (except when I need to move it. They are HEAVY). Also have the 50-500 MHz and .15-3 GHz plugins, and the DVM plugin too.

When I got it, the crystal oven was fried (probably why so many have had their oscillator replaced with a more modern TCXO). It is powered whenever the line cord is plugged in. Lots of burnt heating element and charred foam fell out when I disassembled the oven.

I too removed the original oven & crystal and replaced it with a surplus 10 MHz TCXO supplied by a LM323K regulator, which also stays powered all the time. Some "time nuts" (there's actually a forum by that name) will use a GPS-disciplined oscillator, or even a Rb or Cs standard. I don't need quite that much accuracy  Cool
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 07:44:44 AM »

I bought a GPS time base 5 years ago.   It's certainly more than accurate enough for anything I do.   It was just another one of those impulse "gotta have" items, but it's nice to know I'm "on the right cycle". Grin

Mike KE0ZU

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »

All the old counters are investments! They can only increase in value over time.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015