The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:53:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two 813s plate modulated by 813s - a star is born...  (Read 11258 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »

I better try to figure it out. One thing I have stopped for on my amp build is mounting the big vacuum caps. One is metal/ceramic, maybe pretty rugged, the other is glass but mightly big also. Your advice for vertical mounting is giving me ideas. Space is an issue but so is lead length.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 10:46:16 PM »

Looking more at the picture of the horizontal cap, I wonder if after many years, the alignment of the plates and shaft will sag slightly. The spacing is so small in the vacuum that it wouldn't take much to cut the voltage rating in half or worse.  The glass caps seem to be of weaker construction.  But I am just going by feel here and have never had any of mine fail over a 40 year period when I started using them in a horizontal plane.  Maybe they will all outlive me... :-)

But the vertical plane definitely appears better mechanically; and for a more compact layout and shorter leads, though a right angle drive is required.

T

* W2DTC.jpg (43.14 KB, 512x343 - viewed 233 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 11:22:27 PM »

W2DTC has converted rf generators.

I have two in the shop now, parts donors.  I've converted probably 20 or more of them. Never seen a problem with them shorting out unless running insane voltages on them.

However, I usually have them close to fully unmeshed.  The voltage capability is sky high there, it's more a current problem.

I think it's more a GShock problem than a time sag problem.

--Shane
KD6VXI
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 10:45:25 PM »

I think it's more a GShock problem than a time sag problem.

--Shane
KD6VXI

I sugest adding a bit of element 115 if you find any at a local ufo crash site  Grin Grin

yes I used to live in Ca

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 11:55:52 AM »

I lived in Tehachapi, CA for a time.  Amazing the things you would see streak across the sky.  Donuts-on-a-rope, etc.

I've since moved to the central coast....  Weirdest thing here is a large farm tractor lol.

Except when offshore on an oil drill rig:  you see some odd stuff when out there.  Fishing 'trawlers that don't move for weeks at a time, pointed broadside to Vandenberg launch facilities.... The four we service have a decent view of Vandenberg south base.  Not to mention cool sea life... Whales, dolphins, sharks, turtles, etc.

And Vandenberg, that place is really fun.  Was at a Minuteman III site last week, along with being on the flightline.  Couple projects we are working on.

Don't get me started on the "Space Force" buildings.... 

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2020, 12:36:33 AM »

hey its just the natural evolution of the Strategic Air Command!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 07:09:21 AM »

Tom,

Can you show how you added the 160M ruskie padder and the switch?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »

Tom,
Can you show how you added the 160M ruskie padder and the switch?

Hi John,

On 160M only, I don't have enough C2 loading capacitance available, just 2,000 pF. (vacuum variables)  The pi-net on 1.885 requires  3,000 pF for the 20 uH coil I have.  I need more C2 or L, take your pick. So I decided to keep the L1 at 20 uH and add some more C2.  The higher bands, 75-20M have plenty of range for Q=12.

So, on 160M I usually add in a fixed capacitor of 500-1000 pF in parallel with the loading cap. I use either a relay or just a 20A 120V large toggle switch with the shortest leads possible, right near the loading cap.  160M is very low loss band, so is very forgiving when the Q is somewhat higher as a result.

Do not use doorknobs for this high-current use, but rather, capacitors that are rated for at least 5A or more at 160M.  (6A at  50 ohms is about 2500 watts, so there is overkill)  The common dark brown .001, .0005 mica capacitors about 1.5" X  1"  X  3/8" commonly found in flea market boxes, used for years in military rigs are usually marked for current. I've never blown one up in loading cap service, though I have popped door knobs there.

Use thick wire.  

** I will have some new pictures soon of the whole rig and this cap padder. The wiring is almost done except for the tube sockets and modulator iron. I silver plated the tank and RF final copper straps. Lots of cosmetic improvements to make this new 813 rig look FB and talk whirlwide.  Got the window glass and will make up some panel labels soon. It has gone from an Ugly Duckling (see first pics posted here) to Hollywood, quite a looker, rivaling Fabio, Rico Suave and Dr. Love.  Caw Mawn.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2020, 02:52:58 PM »

Hollywood has come out of the dungeon and is continued in this next thread with finished pictures:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php/topic,45867.msg328910.html#msg328910

* DSCF0031.JPG (322.48 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 282 times.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015