The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:46:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth it when things suck?  (Read 2587 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: May 07, 2020, 04:01:48 PM »

It's been a long time since I've used a desoldering station...... so.  ..... maybe its time to buy one.

They work FB on boards, but on tube equiptment, I've never been there. Coments to viability, usefulness, and technique would be apreciated. Dumb looks would fit in the gallery section.

The Ausie who runs the EEV blog reviewed a ChiCom zd985; ( repack and sold by Rhino Tools)... it's about $160. Cheep. I dont ' think that i'll get a new Pace or Hakko .... ..

KLC

What? Me worry?
WA1QHQ

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:23:07 PM »

I have a Pace desoldering station and never use it, prefer my good old Edsyn solder sucker
Detroit47

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »

I love my old Pace MBT. Perhaps the best thing since sliced bread. I would never be without one. I sometimes use a soldering iron with it for extra heat on point to point stuff. I work on a lot of antique broadcast radios. I would buy a used good one rather than some Chinese BS. Buy American and you will be able to get parts. A solder sucker is useless if you ever do any surface mount stuff.

John N8QPC
KD1SH

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »

I've got a Hakko solder sucker, and I love it.  It's in its element, like you say, on through-hole PC boards, but it'll pull solder right out of point-to-point wiring connections, too, especially when you apply additional heat with a second iron.  The same junction that might require four inches of solder wick can be handled with one two second push of the button.  The only drawback is that it can be cumbersome in tight quarters, but then, so can a regular soldering iron.
   I've never used the ChiCom models, but I suppose you'll get what you pay for.  I do have a ChiCom soldering iron/hot-air gun/hot-tweezer station that's served me well for ten years, but the lower quality of its construction is evident at a glance.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:34:21 PM »

I have a Pace and use it on boards. For boat anchor work I prefer solder wick, or home made wick, made from the braid of old coax with a few drops of liquid wick.
KC4VWU

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 09:23:43 AM »

I've thought about getting one at some point, but a test drive would be really nice before dropping big bucks on a good one. For just desoldering parts from circus boards, my old trusty Rat Shack iron with the built in bulb is hard to beat. Think I'll stick with solder wick and pick tool for p2p connections.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »

Yeah, the money factor pop$ up all the time. While I'm currently full time employed, I'm looking at the time I become obsolete in the next 4 years,with a EOL time frame for maybe 20 years after that. So, now is the time to spend the cash for a few things - back up 813s, 810s, maybe a spectrum analyzer. Looking at the epay listings, ~$400.00 seems the price point for the sucker station and the suckie gun. 

Watts a po boy to du?

klc

I did spring for the Weller station 10+ years ago ( Christmas money I forgot to tell the XYL about ).

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015