The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gonset G-50  (Read 50379 times)
WB4YVO

« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »

Wonder why its different.. Mine seems to have more Grid current in Xtal mode  Maybe that's why..

Mine only loads to about 5 in plate position both Xtal and VFO..

Mine is rock solid no drift..

Skip
KD1SH

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2018, 09:23:58 PM »

I'm thinking the slow drift in power output must be heat related - the change takes place over a span of 30 seconds or so.  Something intermittent like cold solder or a cracked carbon-comp would be all herky-jerky spastic, while this is slow as molasses.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »

Hi Skip
Fine to hear that all your wrk had good results, congrats!!!
Bill, doe the grid current and anode current also drift? 
KD1SH

« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »

Haven't checked grid and plate currents at the oscillator yet, but at the PA they do show a slight change, in sync with the drift in power output.  The plate voltage at the 6146 drops with increasing power output and rises with decreasing power output, so that appears to be effect rather than cause.

PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »

The anode voltage rises probably due to the decrease in anode current. See is the grid current also goes down when the power goes down. If it does, the problem should be the driver or oscillator stage. If not, check the G2 voltage. If stable, put a 10 000 pF ceramic from cathode to ground. May be the original cap is weak.
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »

Concerning adding the push-pull transformer, what might be the impedance that is needed, or maybe it doesn't matter that much. I'm not sure how impedance should be calculated in that configuration.
Thanks...........Larry
KD1SH

« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »

Hi, Larry,
   There are people here far more knowledgeable than my humble self, but my take is that since a Heising configuration - center tapped or otherwise - doesn't offer any impedance transformation between the modulator and the plate circuit, it's not something we'd have to worry about with this mod.  The Hammond 1645 that I'm going to be using for my G-50 has a 5K ohm primary, center tapped, so you'd have 2.5K on either side of the tap.  The secondary has taps for 4, 8, and 16 ohms, so it'll match your speaker.
    As a side note, at the recent Sussex hamfest I picked up a nice Clegg 99'er, and my friend picked up beautiful little Utica 650.  At the time I didn't know much about the workings of either rig, but a check of the schematics revealed that both rigs use the very same modulation scheme we're talking about using in our Gonset mod: a center tapped Heising choke.  I'm in the midst of a two-part vacation, so I haven't had time to play with my 99'er, but I'm looking forward to finding out how that modulation scheme sounds, and I really can't wait to hear my friend's Utica 650 on the air - that is one sweet looking little rig.

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015