Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/11/d132647312/htdocs/Amfone/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
FM radio is dying

The AM Forum
May 20, 2018, 07:02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FM radio is dying  (Read 413 times)
Detroit47

N8QPC on your AM dial

« on: May 17, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »

https://inews.co.uk/news/fm-radio-stations-could-be-switched-off-as-digital-listening-passes-50-milestone/

The only thing you will ever regret is the thing you didn't do.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »

Programming, programming, programming.
Content, content, content.

The current situation is that almost all of the stations out there are devoid of both. Sad
<snore>

Put out good content, and you'll have something.
However, internet streaming has changed the equation, just like cable TV and now
internet video streaming has turned the old paradigm on its head.

I think broadcasting over-the-air is essentially "sun-setting" now.

The main problem with the new digital streamed paradigm is that the gatekeepers
can dynamically and instantly "jam" any given "channel". So, censorship has a different
face.

"...the wheel in the sky keeps on turning..."

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:48:42 PM »

Kids are still listening.

Except, they could give a shit about otar.  They care about either Pandora or IHeartRadio.

IHeartRadio is clear channel.  A friend is the local engineer for clear channel.  He's just riding the sunset (his words) until radio dies. He totally talked me out of a radio career (he controls almost every radio station in a 500 mile diameter.  Where would I work).  He talked me out of starting a station (I have a 1kw and 20 kw TX sitting collecting dust).

The engineers that future proofed themselves all learned IP.  That's where it's at.

Radio, for all intents and purposes, is dead.  Unless you're sending tcp/IP packets using radio.

However, kids are still listening to bubblegum.  We are all just too old to know where they find it today.  It's on Pandora, Google play, iTunes and IHeartRadio.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »

https://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/radio-facts-and-figures/
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »

Programming, programming, programming.
Content, content, content.

The current situation is that almost all of the stations out there are devoid of both. Sad
<snore>

Put out good content, and you'll have something.
However, internet streaming has changed the equation, just like cable TV and now
internet video streaming has turned the old paradigm on its head.

I think broadcasting over-the-air is essentially "sun-setting" now.

The main problem with the new digital streamed paradigm is that the gatekeepers
can dynamically and instantly "jam" any given "channel". So, censorship has a different
face.

"...the wheel in the sky keeps on turning..."

_-_-

Yes. My favorite station to listen to on my daily commute is a little lpfm that is live most of the time during the day, only a few hours are they automated from 6 AM to 6 PM. They run an oldies format with a wide variety of songs, not just the same familiar ones over and over. In the evenings and on weekends they run some specialty shows featuring other genres. Now being an lpfm they aren't a flamethrower but the signal was built well enough to have decent coverage once i cross over the mountain that separates their transmitter site from my house. Right now I'm listening to them on a Sony ICF-5900w sitting on my lap inside the house, surprisingly there are a few spots here around my property that i can pick them up, 27 miles away, with a rather large mountain in the way. Normally i would listen to their webcast at home but it isn't being very reliable at the moment so out comes the radio, even though has some static there's enough information there that the brain can still process what is being heard early, you can't do that when the digital or internet signal keeps cutting out, stuttering, or buffering.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:32:40 PM »

The local 5KW AM oldies long since went to not-so-oldies and real heavy on the extremely boring blabvertising -health quacks and retirement/investment 'counselors' all preying upon peoples fears. Nothing drives me to spin the dial faster.
Recently all secular musical was replaced by radio preachers.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:51:35 AM »

Bollywood! The local oldies station switched to Bollywood. Despite the commercial heavy format, I started listening to that station again, put it on a push button.  It's certainly more interesting than hearing the songs of my youth repeated over and over or political pundits shrieking.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone 2001-2015