The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:52:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST's "Getting to Know Your Radio" Column  (Read 35986 times)
2ZE
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 12:34:21 PM »

Sad state of affairs when a technical hobby has only "a group" of techies !!!

No Buddly, you just said a mouthful!

2ZE
KA1ZGC
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2005, 12:40:16 PM »

Quote from: WD8BIL
Maybe highly technical articles have little interest and only target a select "techie" group.

Ya said a mouthful there pal.

The fact that so few people think there's anything strange about that is the part that always gets me.

It's wierd talking to some of the new guys you hear on VHF, who actually say things like "why should I learn anything about the innards of my radio when it doesn't interest me?" People with ham tickets actually say that these days!

Think about that: if the innards of your radio don't interest you, why did you get a ham ticket? What did you think ham radio was when you got your ticket? Why, when I suggest you fix the frayed cable in your MFJ speaker-mic, do you run from any hint of knowledge and defend your unwillingness to learn?

I've gone off on this old buzzard transmission a thousand times by now: it all comes back to a yawning lack of elmers. None of the newbies have anyone to learn from except other newbies. This is why the ARRL now has to publish real brain food like Understanding Your Power Switch and LSB vs. USB: An In-Depth Comparison.

If I were handing out ham radio Cliff's Notes, they'd say things like this:

:arrow: "QSL?" means "Can you send written confirmation", "QSL" means "I will send written confirmation". No matter how many times you hear people doing it, "QSL" does not mean "10-4".

:arrow: The correct order is: ask if the frequency is in use, then spend ten minutes going "yaaaaay" and calling your dog.

:arrow: When you feel yourself nodding off, take off the VOX headset.

:arrow: When you are on 146.52, and nothing goes "beep" when you unkey, the radio IS NOT BROKEN.

...and so on, and so on.

But hey, I'm just a techie, what do I know?

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2005, 05:01:30 PM »

I've got a stack of QST's going back to the mid '70's with breaks in between years. I became a regular member in the 80's but then I quit ARRL 10 or so years ago cause the ticked me off. Occasionally I bought QST off the stand because of articles of interest.  If I put all of the publications together that I have saved going back to '79 one can definitely see the transition from techie magazine to "dumbed down idiot I can't connect my antenna to an SO-239 connector" type magazine.  There's a definite de-evolution.  Disappointing to say the least.  I did rejoin the ARRL in Jan of 05 only because I felt they could use the funding to fight this BPL crap but I think my membership will be short lived.  In December I will make my decision to continue or discontinue. It will depend on the turn of events obviously.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W1GFH
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2005, 05:51:56 PM »

Quote from: KA1ZGC
Maybe highly technical articles have little interest and only target a select "techie" group.

The fact that so few people think there's anything strange about that is the part that always gets me.

Rite on, brutha. I don't consider myself a "techie" but I always considered ham radio a technical hobby. And if you're bitten by the radio bug, learning the technical side is not a chore, it's a passion. The fact that the majority of present day hams balk at technical articles in QST says a lot.  It tells me they are really not interested in radio, but rather, in operating.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2005, 05:57:30 PM »

Evening fellas,

I like to read, I read alot, and if it comes to the door I read it...I like books of all subjects...I'm not gona sit here and come down on a league publication, i'm not gona do it..I read it , i cut out or copy what i want for quick reference , if anything, and the rag goes in the collection...That's it from me...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2005, 07:45:17 PM »

Well, don't leave us hanging, Pete! What'd ya tell them?

After my initial shock (sort of a 2 to 3 second stare at the handset), I explained it's use. Male person who called, laughed said how dumb he was, thanked me and hung up. Two months later we received a "mystery shopper" report and guess who the mystery shopper was. Previous shopper report on me hadn't gone that well. On a Saturday morning with head pounding after a Friday night of drink and merriment, store and counter full of people, customer comes to me and quietly asks for the cheapest slide switch we had in stock. Went to check stock, came back to the counter entrance and yelled over to him "if 9 cents was cheap enough for him". He nodded, bought the switch, and left. The mystery shopper report was less than flattering. Life and times at the retail level.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2005, 07:49:12 PM »

If you believe the current amateur radio service is a "technical hobby", you're not looking hard enough.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2005, 08:05:35 PM »

Quote from: W1RKW
I did rejoin the ARRL in Jan of 05 only because I felt they could use the funding to fight this BPL crap but I think my membership will be short lived.  In December I will make my decision to continue or discontinue. It will depend on the turn of events obviously.

Would you have rejoined the ARRL to support the only organization that tries to continually support all the members of the amateur radio service if they had no magazine??

In general, join or not going to join, based on a magazine content is silly. There is no other organization whose sole purpose is to support the entire amateur radio service. You join to help fund and support the work they try to do. If you don't believe they are supporting the entire amateur radio service and your interests, you go it alone and/or sit on the sidelines.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »

="W1GFH  
Rite on, brutha. I don't consider myself a "techie" but I always considered ham radio a technical hobby. And if you're bitten by the radio bug, learning the technical side is not a chore, it's a passion. The fact that the majority of present day hams balk at technical articles in QST says a lot.  It tells me they are really not interested in radio, but rather, in operating.

Nothing wrong with having a technical side to an evolving amateur radio service. But many people may have only an interest in communicating with other people locally or in distant countries. The interest is communications/operating and radio is the tool. Radio is not the passion. Therefore technical articles have little interest.

Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2005, 05:20:54 AM »

Quote from: Pete, WA2CWA

Maybe the "fundamental essence" of the majority of the membership has changed. Maybe highly technical articles have little interest and only target a select "techie" group.

Maybe most of the advertising dollars come from companies selling large expensive rigs, rather than those selling solder and parts ?   I'm not sure if the US has endorsed entry level licences that require type approved transmitters but is occuring elewhere and I can't help but feel its the beginning of the end.
                                                              (Geez now I really feel like an old Fart!)
                                                                       Ian VK3KRI
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2005, 05:47:22 AM »

Well, Have some children then and share your knowledge with them and their friends.

There's alot that can be done at your local churches.

The better part of the Internet is sharing knowledge.

There's always Possibilities.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »

Would you have rejoined the ARRL to support the only organization that tries to continually support all the members of the amateur radio service if they had no magazine??

In general, join or not going to join, based on a magazine content is silly. There is no other organization whose sole purpose is to support the entire amateur radio service. You join to help fund and support the work they try to do. If you don't believe they are supporting the entire amateur radio service and your interests, you go it alone and/or sit on the sidelines.

Hi Pete,
I rejoined because of some of todays issues confronting the amateur radio service, not for their magazine.  QST is irrelevant.  I can get that off the stand anytime.  But the ARRL seems to be the only game in town when it comes to the political junk.  

BPL is headed for two areas in the Shelton, CT area on a trial basis and that's as close as I'd like to see it near me.  If the ARRL is fighting it then they get my monetary support.  If the battle flops before December rolls around I will have some thinking to do about my membership.  If they're still fighting it I will continue support.  That's all I was trying to say.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2005, 05:49:40 PM »

BPL is headed for two areas in the Shelton, CT area on a trial basis and that's as close as I'd like to see it near me. If the ARRL is fighting it then they get my monetary support. If the battle flops before December rolls around I will have some thinking to do about my membership. If they're still fighting it I will continue support. That's all I was trying to say.

Bob:
Understand your point and I agree.  You should contact the ARRL and find out what their plans are for these trials.  Mustering the local hams and clubs in the area to be aware of the pending trials probably would help. As far as I can tell, they been fighting this stuff all over the country.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 07:36:52 PM »

But many people may have only an interest in communicating with other people locally or in distant countries. The interest is communications/operating and radio is the tool. Radio is not the passion.

Wouldn't a cell phone or internet voice chat be a better choice of tool if that's the extent of your interest?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1GFH
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2005, 08:35:05 PM »

Nothing wrong with having a technical side to an evolving amateur radio service. But many people may have only an interest in communicating with other people locally or in distant countries. The interest is communications/operating and radio is the tool. Radio is not the passion. Therefore technical articles have little interest.

A "de-volving amateur radio service" is more accurate.

Part 97 : Sec. 97.1 Basis and Purpose
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

Paragraphs B, C and D suggest that the technical component in the ARS was not intended to be "optional". If, as you say, ham radio is evolving toward a non-technical hobby, the basis and purpose will have to be revised.

It's clear the above basis and purpose was drafted long before the advent of the internet, cell phones, and $29 FRS radios. Ham radios contribution to emergency comms (while still active) is in steady decline. The advancement of the communication art is no longer the province of the basement experimenter. And the internet is positioned to be a more effective tool for enhancing international goodwill (if there is any international goodwll to enhance).

So OK, ham radio isn't what it used to be, and no amount of P+M'ing will change that.  And to its credit I believe QST isn't actually dropping technical content entirely, but balancing it with more operating and lifestyle features. However, I'm sure you'll agree that it would be a mistake to tip the balance too far in the nontechnical direction.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2005, 12:14:34 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv
Wouldn't a cell phone or internet voice chat be a better choice of tool if that's the extent of your interest?

It's hard to do "CQ South Africa" or "CQ Contest" on your cell phone.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2005, 12:32:13 PM »

Not hard at all, Pete.  Getting an answer, on the other hand....

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
SidebandPat
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2005, 10:46:39 AM »

Dear High and Mighty AM'ers:  Excuse me, but there were many times that I see AM guys asking questions like: How do I wire an antenna relay to my Johnson Ranger.  How do I load an amplifier to use with my DX-60.  How can I fit an R-390A AM filter into my 75A4.

This is all relative.

There are just as many "dumb-question" uninformed AM'ers as there are those needing assistance on their new radio's.

Time to get real here.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2005, 11:17:22 AM »

In a sense, the new modern surface mount radios ARE too gawd damned complex to repair and service. I'll bet there's barely a dozen guys in the country who are equipped and knowlegable enuff to find and fix a bad LSI chip in a modern ICOM 756 Pro, etc.

What has happened is that the ham "techies" have gravitated towards rigs that they CAN modify and repair - the older stuff - like AM gear or older riceboxes. And these same guys also build their own linears, antennas and sometimes modify their riceboxes. And build PW rigs, of course.  Just like in any other hobby there's always a smaller core of do-it-your-selfers, while the majority pulls up driving the lastest store bought ricebox.

I think the throw-away, not fix-it  mentality caused by computers and modern appliances is what has given the new guys this mindset. With good reason.

But, there is hope.  For example, I've been hanging out lately with a mixed group of newbies [tech plus guys] and OT's on 6M.  It's a matter of giving them the carrots. Months ago these guys were talking about model numbers and how much stuff cost. Last night we were talking about the dimensions of some new Yagis two of the guys were building from stratch. Another guy has started building up two new linears, etc.  They just need some direction - but it takes time and effort - if we are into it.

I think most hams would love to work on their own gear and build if they had the exposure to it by their peers. But most don't and take the easiest path.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2005, 11:35:21 AM »

Tom,
Another problem is parts change so fast you can't even repair a rice box a few years old even if you know the problem. This forces you to buy a new rig. Circuit board quality sucks even in the high end stuff so it becomes very easy to damage a PC board.
I got interested in MIL radios of the 80s and 90s for this reason.
The parts are common to industry so you can repair them for ever.
Or at least as long as your eyes work. Circuit boards are mil quality
so they can take the heat.
Old tube rigs are hard to beat because of quality of construction and ease
of repair.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2005, 11:50:44 AM »

Absolutely, Frank.  ICOM circuit boards are worse than an old $2 transistor radio.... just TRY and remove a part without lifting a circuit board trace - even with professional vacuum desoldering tools.

While our old buddy Sideband Pat has dashed in, dropped his load, and run away again, what he says has some truth to it.  But Pat has told people that they are "stupid" for asking questions.  Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and gain confidence as they go.  And a knowledgeable Elmer, like Tom Vu coaching/motivating his newbies on 6 meters, does wonders for their confidence.  

Nobody is born with an innate understanding of how passband tooning works, for example.  For this reason, newby articles are useful.  Give these guys some knowledge, confidence, and motivation and they'll come along.  Much like many guys who have stumbled across AMers and the fertile technical discussions therein, and have gone on to build Big Rigs, etc.

73 John

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2005, 12:24:08 PM »

Sideband Pat can remind me how stupid I am all he wants. It just confirms what I know to be true.
"But at least I'm enjoying the ride"  (JG)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2005, 07:29:32 PM »

Quote from: WA1GFZ
Tom,
Another problem is parts change so fast you can't even repair a rice box a few years old even if you know the problem. This forces you to buy a new rig.

Ever notice the Catch-22 clause in obtaining replacement parts?  When a product is new on the market, the manufacturer has replacement parts available.  But as soon as the unit gets a few years on it, and you begin to NEED to replace components, the replacement parts are no longer available because the manufacturer DISCONTINUED them just about the time things in the original units started to break.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2005, 07:49:58 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv
Quote from: WA1GFZ
Tom,
Another problem is parts change so fast you can't even repair a rice box a few years old even if you know the problem. This forces you to buy a new rig.

Ever notice the Catch-22 clause in obtaining replacement parts?  When a product is new on the market, the manufacturer has replacement parts available.  But as soon as the unit gets a few years on it, and you begin to NEED to replace components, the replacement parts are no longer available because the manufacturer DISCONTINUED them just about the time things in the original units started to break.

Many times the "finished goods" manufacturer has no control over a part manufacturer discontinuing certain parts especially if it's a low or no demand part over some period of time. This is common practice and makes good sense from their side of the house. My Black and Decker weed trimmer was bought 4 years ago and discontinued about 2 years ago. Motor developed a bearing problem so I wanted to buy a new motor. No longer available and the new motors for the weed trimmers won't fit into my housing.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2005, 08:12:14 PM »

="Pete, WA2CWA My Black and Decker weed trimmer was bought 4 years ago and discontinued about 2 years ago. Motor developed a bearing problem so I wanted to buy a new motor. No longer available and the new motors for the weed trimmers won't fit into my housing.

Listen Pete, that might work with the XYL but the rest of us aren't going to accept any excuses when the weeds get too long. You will have to think up something better like: "I'll cut the weeds down on a weekend when there are no good hamfests"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015