The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:33:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sidetone monitoring options for ART-13  (Read 3724 times)
W6MQI

« on: January 31, 2017, 11:02:07 PM »

For those who use the ART-13 transmitter what are you using to monitor the sidetone i.e. head phones- speaker? Switch (S202) gives multiple impedance outputs from 125 Ohms to 2000 Ohms from J104, and J105. I would like to use a period headset such as HB-7/ R14 high impedance, or ANB-H-1 low impedance headset just need to find a set at a reasonable price that's still usable. Anyway just curious what people use.

I should say I haven't yet put my ART-13 on the air yet so I'm not sure what the sidetone even sounds like it might be a raspy tone not worth listening too.

73, Dave
k3msb

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »

Hi Dave

I currently run an SCR-274N system and a T-19/BC-348Q combination on CW.    On both systems I do not use any kind of side tone monitoring circuit per se;  rather I just disconnect the antenna via a switch and turn the volume (or gain) down and listen to my transmitted signal in the receiver.      I have a pair of ART-13's and plan on getting to one of them this year.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
SA2CLC

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »

I use my ART-13 and BC-348 on CW as Mark suggests. I simply turn down the receiver gain on transmit. The sidetone generated by the 13' is very nice to listen to though, and to enable the receiver mute and couple the audio from the 348 to the ART-13 is also doable, just havent gotten around to do that. I use some old bakelite high impedance headphones and external speaker with a 600-8 ohm matching transformer.

* 20161218_171645.jpg (1996.79 KB, 3264x1836 - viewed 260 times.)
KA2DZT

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »

I use my ART-13 and BC-348 on CW as Mark suggests. I simply turn down the receiver gain on transmit. The sidetone generated by the 13' is very nice to listen to though, and to enable the receiver mute and couple the audio from the 348 to the ART-13 is also doable, just havent gotten around to do that. I use some old bakelite high impedance headphones and external speaker with a 600-8 ohm matching transformer.

My BC-348J has a 8000ohm output impedance, yes it is that high.  I have a military speaker that has another matching xfmr.  The audio is much louder using the correct speaker matching xfmr.
k3msb

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »

My BC-348J has a 8000ohm output impedance, yes it is that high.  I have a military speaker that has another matching xfmr.  The audio is much louder using the correct speaker matching xfmr.

That's pretty high. Is your audio output transformer stock?

I think the normal hi impedance is around 4K and the lo around 400.   My 348's audio transformer is on the low tap.   I feed it into a 600 to 8 ohm matching transformer for use with standard headphones.   Works well.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »

I've had the receiver for over 50 years.  The xfmr is stock and IIRC the impedance is 8K or 9K, it also has the low tap.  The last time I did some work on it I was finally able to correct some issues with the HB power supply that I built for it 50 plus years ago.  The receiver always had a low background hum.  Once I was able to get a schematic I could see the hum problem had something to do with the B+ neg return line.  I forgot exactly what it was but the hum is completely gone.

I also use to use a 600ohm to 8ohm xfmr using the low output tap,  but using the right speaker match in the high output resulted in a much louder audio output.

Fred
W6MQI

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »

Thanks guys for the suggestions my original plan was to listen to the receiver during transmit wasn't sure if the side tone on the ART-13 was any good to listen to sounds like it is. I've listen to some other old vacuum tube transmitters side tones that sounded really crappy sounds like Collins did their home work on this one.

One other question I was going to use a D-104 for a microphone, but the Hi-z input is only 200 ohms I could go into the speech amplifier and by-pass T201 then change R205 value not a big fan of modifying if I don't have too I will if needed. How are you guys getting around this?
SA2CLC

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »

I just flipped the switch on the speech amp behind the hinged cover from 'carbon' to 'dynamic' position and adjusted the D104 gain to suit.
// Tommy
W6MQI

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 05:48:45 PM »

I just flipped the switch on the speech amp behind the hinged cover from 'carbon' to 'dynamic' position and adjusted the D104 gain to suit

My D-104 isn't an amplified version so I was kinda thinking of a using an equalizer like a Behringer 802 or similar to interface the mic to the the ART-13 at $60.00 if its a fail it won't break the bank. W2IHY has a nice equalizer unit, but right now that's a little more than I want to spend.

Dave
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »

Any of those intercom or distributed speaker transformers will work. That is what I use into an 8 Ohm speaker directly off the ART-13- plenty of audio volume. But seriously CW with the ART-13 is a clunking affair with those relays clanging and the sidetone is merely background!

These are the good old days of AM
W6MQI

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:58:39 AM »

Any of those intercom or distributed speaker transformers will work. That is what I use into an 8 Ohm speaker directly off the ART-13- plenty of audio volume. But seriously CW with the ART-13 is a clunking affair with those relays clanging and the sidetone is merely background!

I'm not into modifying old rigs but the clickety clickety clack boom bang of this old rig during CW will be change there's a couple of non invasive mods to fix this.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015