The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Viking 1 "restoration"  (Read 4200 times)
n9ktw

« on: October 01, 2016, 05:32:43 PM »

I was the recipient of VERY UGLY Johnson VIKING! last year. Fortunately the ugly was only "skin deep" I got High Voltage + low voltage working with no problems, PROPERLY cleaned all the controls and tube sockets, and YES WE HAVE CW RF. Havent gotten to the AM part YET!

So my question is this..... This is a VIKING 1, it has the "TVI mods (shielding, added caps, coils, etc) Do I REALLY need to reinstall the cap and coil rfi suppression network at the AC line input, and "PTT" connection? I realize that if I do, I will need modern bypass capacitors. I am also planning on adding a grounded power cord (the original one was dry rotted,  and had to replaced). I did "replace" the original 7 Watt incandescent lamp for the HV on with a direct replacement screw in one (wanted to eliminate some of the heat by the wiring)

Any other thoughts that I should consider?

de Howard, N9KTW
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »

I think this has been covered elsewhere - what with the day of cable TV / The Dish, I feel it's unnecessary.

Al
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »

You might look at the Viking II pictures at this Ebay Auction:   232100093761

Also look at some of the kits from this seller:  cornelius_connie

Jim
Wd5JKO
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »

Howard,

I would agree with Al that it's really not necessary. My Viking One without any of the AC line or PTT filtering sits in an open back rack without any shielding what-so-ever and causes no issues with HDTV (OTA or cable) and reception on the AM BCB and elsewhere is unaffected. I would not worry about it but you are a good citizen for asking!

Rob W1AEX

* Viking 3 Rack.jpg (34.24 KB, 640x480 - viewed 401 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »

WOW! That is a clean looking Viking!!

Tom
n9ktw

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:49:02 PM »

Thank you guys for all the information so far! Smiley  I have installed a grounded cord, and no "line TVI mods", and we have RF..... at least in CW mode.

I cant get audio out in AM mode. Yes the microphone is good, and HIGH impedance.  As I advanced the audio gain control I heard the (i am guessing) modulation transformers "groaning", but no audio out. Any ideas where to start "poking" with the signal tracer, or just try some new 6AU6 tubes?Huh 

I hate to "shoot in the dark", especially since most of what id have to check is on the bottom of transmitter, and i did notice that the radio wasnt happy with " HV" on, and the chassis on its side...... Only cost me 1 fuse!

Looking for ideas..... Eventually I may post a few pics of it.... not the prettiest radio in the world, but so far a working "non molested" one.

Howard, N9KTW
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 05:28:09 PM »

Hi Howard........ Plate voltage for the 807s come from the primary of the mod xformer. Check the plate voltages at the tubes....should be around 675 to 730ish VDC.

Can you set the 807 resting current according to the manual? No mod current when the mode switch is in the phone position could indicate an open primary. No RF final plate current in the phone position could indicate an open secondary.

To check the mic preamp put the tracer at the 807 grids and work back from there if necessary.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015