The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:18:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E. H. Scott RCH and National NC-125  (Read 15458 times)
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« on: May 24, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »

Recent rx's restored, or semi-restored.  I did not paint the front panel on the RCH, as it cleaned up pretty good.  Restored it electrically, but not exactly original since I did not stuff the bathtub caps that were everywhere.  I kept them in case I ever want to, or sell it to someone that does.  All caps (except some micas) and out of spec resistors were replaced.  I've had this Scott for almost 20 years, and just got around to getting it operational.  Works perfect on all bands (80kcs to 24 mc).  Cabinet is getting prepared to paint.  Audio is wonderful!  Anyone needing help with an RCH are welcome to contact me.

This NC-125 is one of three I'm restoring, inside and out.  This one is an early production run, the other two are later.

More photos of each are in my photo album at:

RCH: http://w5ami.net/cpg1419/thumbnails.php?album=74

NC-125: http://w5ami.net/cpg1419/thumbnails.php?album=73

Brian / w5ami

* IMGP2265.JPG (169.85 KB, 1168x776 - viewed 1009 times.)

* IMGP2256.jpg (145.87 KB, 1168x776 - viewed 946 times.)

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »

Fabulous, Brian!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »

I have one of those RCH receiver and always liked the audio. Broad as a barn door but otherwise a nice receiver. The only problem I have had is when operating out of the case once in awhile I would let one of my fingers go over the top of the front panel and get zapped!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »

Thanks for the comments...

I really like the audio on the RCH.  Just wish it had the AM BC band on it.  Wonder why they skipped it?  It covers 80 kcs to 24 mcs in five bands, but no BC band!  Other than ham AM, there is not much to listen to on SW anymore, unless you want to hear south of the border, religious, or Radio China....  Don't get me wrong, I have religion, I just find it annoying to hear every other station on SW with that format.  Anyone know what RCH stood for, if anything?

So far, this one has not zapped me.  Could be a leaky C-115 (AC line bypass).  I just removed that on mine.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:33:22 PM »

I got shocked when my fingers hit a dc potential on one of the DC buss line behind the panel. I just found the manual on line.

http://frank.yueksel.org/instruments/EHScott/RCH/Scott_RCH_manual.pdf 

So far, no mention what RCH means?

That copy on line is real clean so it would make a nice print.

W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »

When I bought this nearly 20 years ago, I got the spare parts case, with a lot still left in it, plus three original manuals.  I sent one to W7FG long before he became SK, for his manual copies, and still have two, but one is hiding from me.  Luckily, I found one before I began to restore/repair this one.  Has the large fold-out schematic in an envelope attached inside of the manual.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »

By the way, I finished the cabinet best I could get it and posted more photos in the album (link above).  I'd rather re-cap an rx than paint cabinets....

73 de W5AMI - Brian
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »

The RCH was the US Navy designation. 

Kinda like RBB, RAO, RBK eTc.

Would be on every one, no matter who built it.  In this case, Scott may have been the only contractor.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »

Thanks DG, I never seen one other than by Scott. BTW, that 6K7 tube in the sealed compartment area seems to be somewhat a touchy  tube in that service. I found that a NOS tubes were not as sensitive as a well broken in tube. I went out and purchased a 5 pack of NOS tubes only to find out that an old battle scared one was way better in there?

W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »

That makes sense on the RCH designation.  I thought it might be an acronym for something like the Scott SLR, which I've been told stood for Super Low Radiation, or something like that.

For whatever it's worth, the 6K7 in mine was the one in there when I got this rig.  Not sure if it's the original tube, but it shows just fine on my TV-3/C tester.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »

hat makes sense on the RCH designation

Well this RCH designation does mean something because years ago I remember reading about it from what is now probably a vanished web site.

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »

RCH is the sequential model number assigned by the Navy.

http://www.virhistory.com/navy/rcvr-ww2.htm
(about half way down page)

The Army and Navy had separate naming systems up until mid WWII.  The Navy for the most part assigned sequential model numbers.  Around mid-war they consolidated systems and created the AN/xxxx system which had organized categories, we are now familiar with.

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »

Here are some manufacturer contract codes!

CAY - Westinghouse       CCT - Stromberg-Carlson         CFT - Federal
CNA - National               CND - Andrea                          CME - RME
CPN - Panoramic            CRV - RCA                              CQC - Admiral
CWQ - Wells Gardner    CZC - Scott

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 02:07:09 AM »

Everyone's talking about the RCH but I think those NC-125s are gorgeous. Of course, I'm biased. It was my novice receiver. It's long gone but I got another, very nice one much later but it isn't as pretty as yours. I use it all the time, conditions permitting.

Beautiful work.
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 02:20:19 AM »

Everyone's talking about the RCH but I think those NC-125s are gorgeous. Of course, I'm biased. It was my novice receiver. It's long gone but I got another, very nice one much later but it isn't as pretty as yours. I use it all the time, conditions permitting.

Beautiful work.

Thank You!

73 de W5AMI - Brian
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 02:34:18 AM »

Here are some manufacturer contract codes!

CAY - Westinghouse       CCT - Stromberg-Carlson         CFT - Federal
CNA - National               CND - Andrea                          CME - RME
CPN - Panoramic            CRV - RCA                              CQC - Admiral
CWQ - Wells Gardner    CZC - Scott

That's curious since this one bears both the RCH as the model, and then it shows "CZC-46209 Radio Receiver".

73 de W5AMI - Brian
KA2DZT

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 02:48:26 AM »

Those two receivers look great.

I have a RAL-7.  The main contractor was RCA, Camden,NJ.  My set was made by Andrea Radio, so it has Type CND 46156 Radio Receiver at the top of the name plate.

My BC-348-J was made by Wells Gardner for the Army.  It has order # 832-CHI-42.  The CHI doesn't match with Wells Gardner.  So don't think the Army used the Navy system of coding.  I'm thinking the -42 denotes the year the set was made.

I did a little Web search.  The CHI must stand for Chicago as that where Wells Gardner was located.

Fred
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 07:54:34 AM »

That's curious since this one bears both the RCH as the model, and then it shows "CZC-46209 Radio Receiver".

No reason it is curious.

Manufacturer, EH Scott=CZC

Model=RCH

It was the Navy way.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »

No reason it is curious.

Manufacturer, EH Scott=CZC

Model=RCH

It was the Navy way.

73DG

What's curious to some may not be to others...

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »

Yep, that's how we learn new tidbits like manufacturers' codes and so on. For some, it's old hat. For others, a new piece of information.

Beautiful work as always, Brian. Looks like both rigs will bring you many hours of enjoyment along with the fun already derived from rehabbing them.

Repainting a wrinkle cabinet with a rattle can is never a sure thing as it sounds like you've discovered. A couple things that help are those spray gun handle things for cans, and overshooting. The handle allows you to keep the spray of the fan more 'flat' for lack of a better description. You then shoot past each side on each pass and overlap enough on the next pass to cover the thinner edge area. It can also help to spray in both directions (left to right, top to bottom) but you need to be careful not to put too much paint on doing this.

And even then, results aren't guaranteed. I've had excellent results on some things, crappy on others. Even with a warmed surface. Too hot and the paint will start to set up before you're done spraying and not react as well with additional coats.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »

There is the Navy way and everybody elses, or the Navy way and the wrong way. As ex USN Ive heard several others that are not printable on here.

Im also biased on the NC-125 having worked for National in the Service Dept and R&D 1963-69 after leaving USN active duty. Not the best performer on CW but way up there on looks.

My BC-348-J was made by Wells Gardner for the Army.  It has order # 832-CHI-42.  The CHI doesn't match with Wells Gardner.  So don't think the Army used the Navy system of coding.  I'm thinking the -42 denotes the year the set was made.

CHI stands for Chicago which was where W-G was located and it was one of the Army's purchasing/contract centers. Other plates will have Phila, NY, etc.

Carl
KF7DYU

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »

Hi Brian,

This is a beautiful article on the RCH receiver, I wish I could have found some of this information in 1962/64.

I know this is an ancient post but would you have any idea where I might find one of the E.F.Scott "RCH" receivers?

I am looking for one as it was my first radio receiver in 1962.
Thanks for your time

Adrian KF7DYU
Adrian, Mi
adrianjamesflynn at gmail.com

Recent rx's restored, or semi-restored.  I did not paint the front panel on the RCH, as it cleaned up pretty good.  Restored it electrically, but not exactly original since I did not stuff the bathtub caps that were everywhere.  I kept them in case I ever want to, or sell it to someone that does.  All caps (except some micas) and out of spec resistors were replaced.  I've had this Scott for almost 20 years, and just got around to getting it operational.  Works perfect on all bands (80kcs to 24 mc).  Cabinet is getting prepared to paint.  Audio is wonderful!  Anyone needing help with an RCH are welcome to contact me.

This NC-125 is one of three I'm restoring, inside and out.  This one is an early production run, the other two are later.

More photos of each are in my photo album at:

RCH: http://w5ami.net/cpg1419/thumbnails.php?album=74

NC-125: http://w5ami.net/cpg1419/thumbnails.php?album=73

Brian / w5ami

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »

Brian....... what's the acceptance date on your tag? Mine is 5-19-1945.

RCH = (if I remember) R (receiver) C (communication) H (revision, model H)

* RCH Receiver.jpg (97.55 KB, 1125x623 - viewed 513 times.)
KF7DYU

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »

I no longer have the receiver and it never had the tag.
It was removed by someone before I got it.
I had a photo of it until 2007 when I had a fire so I was able to ID it on the internet. (Why didn't we have it back in the 60s.)

Mine didn't even have a case, and at 15 I was just learning electronics and my step-father bought it for me, I used a piece of wire stuck in the antenna connector and run out the window to my mothers clothesline for an antenna. Yep I was nuts then still am now after working in electronics repair for more than 25 years before I went to driving semi's in construction and made 30 times the money.

I am retired now (70) medically since I was 52 (Lung problems + tons of other since.) and Drs. said I would die by 2004.
I am looking for another one to buy.
I am sure someone has one but it will be fun finding that person.

Tom W2ILA

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 08:59:10 PM »

Nice RCH.  I run the US Maritime Service equivalent Scott SLR-F in a Federal / Mackay 167BY Liberty Ship console for CW (pr of 813's)
It has fantastic sensitivity. And its way broad so there's never a worry that the Receiver will miss the other station if he is off freq.
The RO back in the day has some super skills to keep a CW contact going on the crowded marine frequencies back then.

Nice restoration work.  You did the right thing replacing the sealed bathtub caps. Those are just shielded paper caps and after 70 years of service they now fail regularly in mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015