The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:20:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History and information wanted  (Read 6435 times)
Kimberly Barker SWL

« on: May 18, 2016, 01:06:35 AM »

History and information wanted-
I found your forum when searching the web for any history and information on Barker Williamson equipment. I own one piece of equipment (don't ask me what it is ) and an old retail catalog. They were purchased as a piece of history, my history. I'm going to contact my father and two of his surviving brothers and two surviving sisters for some more information.  Find out  what they remember what was in grandfather Berry's basement. I'm going to contact my aunt and try to figure out how old she was when she held the check that Williamson gave my grandfather for the sale of the company.my father and uncles will have a different perspective than the world as they were not involved in the business, it was not allowed by grandfather.  If anyone has any information about how they met,how they got started ,the military aspect of it....I would be interested in that or any information. I will try to put it all together before B.R. Barker's sons pass away and it's too late.

W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »

Hi Kimberly. The magazine Elactric Radio published an article a few years ago about the Barker and Williamson company, based largely on tape recorded interviews I had with JacK Williamson while he was a resident at Whitehorse Village retirement facility. I will look-up the article and send a copy to the e-mail address you listed.

B&W began in part of a textile mill the Barker family owned but had become disused during the depression. Jack had vivid recollections of how they began making their first product -- wire coils supported by plastic strips held together with Duco cement that they bought at a Woolworths 5&10. Barry's participation was primarily on the mechanical design and business side, but his participation in operation of the company declined in the firm's later years. Nevertheless, according to Jack he was materially responsible for its birth and growth.

Joe Fell, W3GMS is a regular participant on this forum. He has Jack's file on company operations and I'm sure he will have photos and information that should provide plenty of historical background beyond what was published in the magazine.

Bob - W3NE

Kimberly Barker SWL

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 12:04:01 AM »

Thank you very much! Berrie died of  alzheimer's and  I wonder how much of that played a part in his sale of the company.  There are things I'd like to ask but not on a public website.

I will read the article and ask hs children for thoughts and info and more questions for you, if  you don't mind.  I really do appreciate it.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:21:26 PM »

For all those interested I believe it's the two articles in the April and May 2010 issues of "Electric Radio," Entitled "Jack Williamson, W3GC, Radio Engineer And Entrepreneur," but also contain extensive discussion of the Barker and Williamson company, Barrie Barker and his and Jack's contributions from start-up of company right through World War II to the sale of the company in 1964.

The articles are very well written ("reported by Jim Hanlon, W8KGI") and contain lots of pictures including personnel, plant manufacturing line and products.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »

Welcome Kimberly -

You've come to not only the right place, but the best possible place you could have found for answering these questions. As Bob mentioned, Joe Fell has a great deal of information and company history from Jack; they were actually personal friends for some years. Joe has some of Jack's personal equipment in his museum as well.

I'm sure Joe will wander by here soon, he usually checks in daily. I know he's currently working on prepping a car that he is donating to a museum, so that may be keeping him busy. I'll drop him a note and let him know, just in case he's away for a few days.

Stay tuned, I'm sure he would very much enjoy talking with you.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:15:28 PM »

Kimberly, two attempts to send an e-mail failed when pasting the address listed in your second post into my "To" address box. Please check its accuracy and let me know through my Personal Mail Box on this site if it should be valid, and if not, how I can reach you by an alternate method. PM messages here are private. The two articles are comprised of 29 pages, so USPS mail will be preferable to e-mail.

Bob - NE
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »

History and information wanted-
I found your forum when searching the web for any history and information on Barker Williamson equipment. I own one piece of equipment (don't ask me what it is ) and an old retail catalog. They were purchased as a piece of history, my history. I'm going to contact my father and two of his surviving brothers and two surviving sisters for some more information.  Find out  what they remember what was in grandfather Berry's basement. I'm going to contact my aunt and try to figure out how old she was when she held the check that Williamson gave my grandfather for the sale of the company.my father and uncles will have a different perspective than the world as they were not involved in the business, it was not allowed by grandfather.  If anyone has any information about how they met,how they got started ,the military aspect of it....I would be interested in that or any information. I will try to put it all together before B.R. Barker's sons pass away and it's too late.

Hi Kimberly,
I have lots of historical information on B&W.  As was mentioned, Jack Williamson was a personal friend of mine right up until his passing.  I never knew Mr. Barker and my information on the company came from his business partner Jack Williamson.  It would be best to give me a phone call and we can discuss this subject further.  My schedule is very limited until June and then things will free up a bit.  Send me a PM via this forum and I will pass along my phone number along with other contact information.  I am located about 25 miles east of Lancaster, PA.
Best Wishes,
Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Kimberly Barker SWL

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 01:11:27 AM »

WOW! Such great  promise ! Thank you all for being so helpful .  I posed the question to my uncles about their first memory of their father and his business,Some great answers.  I guess there's also some pictures  my uncle has, maybe the same as what you already have maybe not .
 I'll go in and check my email to make sure it's correct.  I may be missing for a while I'm moving my business location so this next month will be a busy one and I go to Vegas at the end of June for training.
  Again thank you so much,!!

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »

it would be very nice and I think of interest to all here and the ham radio community if it were possible to scan and post some of those photos that you mentioned? these days the cameras in the cellphones are so good that it *might* be good enough to just take pix and post them that way. I know I would love to see things like that, they might otherwise be lost for all time!

_-_-bear

(former owner of a B&W6100) Cheesy

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »

This is one of the nicest and most pleasant topics. I'm happy for all concerned.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Kimberly Barker SWL

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 09:36:58 AM »

I'm having trouble maneuvering this forum but I am receiving all your messages and am appreciative.

* image.png (1029.77 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 500 times.)

* image.png (1029.77 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 420 times.)

W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 10:26:40 AM »

Kimberly,

The final remark in the bio attachment relative to B&W's contribution to the war effort is rather exaggerated, to say the least.

A third e-mail attempt seems to have finally been successful. Please respond directly to arrange delivery of ER articles.

Bob - NE
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 11:34:29 AM »

Eisenhower was referring to the entire SCR-299 radio outfit which included the BC-610 and BC-939 when he made that remark.

Easily fixed by saying something like 'The B&W-designed BC-939 was an integral part of the SCR-299 radio system which Eisenhower credited with....'.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Kimberly Barker SWL

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »

Lol ,good to know.I received that info from a family member who got it from a family member that did the family tree. I'll wait to see the article then pass that info on.  Thank you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015