The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:05:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phased MOXON?  (Read 4593 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: April 13, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »

Years ago I had "possibly the world's best 75 antenna", phased dipoles. Gang busters antenna. But an all important tree died and came down. I could still put up a 75 meter Moxon using a different tree. But what about going a step further and driving both elements?

I'm slowly working up the enthusiasm to model it but wonder if any of you jokers have ever done something like this?

Incidentally,  Dan Maguire, AC6LA has a great program on the web for designing Moxons:

http://www.ac6la.com/moxgen1.html

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »

If you drive both elements, it's no longer a Moxon. I know, semantics. But, if you're going to drive both elements, using the Moxon configuration doesn't do much other than save you room. The advantage of the Moxon is that you get good coupling between the two elements like with a phased array, without the hassle of phasing lines or networks.

Consider a symmetrical Moxon (or Moxon like) design with lines running to both elements. One is feed and the other is a shorted or open stub (depends on length). Then you can do some simple switching and get two directions. If I ever take down my 40 meter loops, the switched Moxon would be the replacement.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »

If you drive both elements, it's no longer a Moxon. I know, semantics. But, if you're going to drive both elements, using the Moxon configuration doesn't do much other than save you room. The advantage of the Moxon is that you get good coupling between the two elements like with a phased array, without the hassle of phasing lines or networks.

Consider a symmetrical Moxon (or Moxon like) design with lines running to both elements. One is feed and the other is a shorted or open stub (depends on length). Then you can do some simple switching and get two directions. If I ever take down my 40 meter loops, the switched Moxon would be the replacement.

you might email Ron N4RT .... he runs phased 75 mtr dipoles ... good signal here

Steve...a cool thing to do is to put a parallel resonant tank across the unfed dipole ... by adjusting above/below resonance it is possible to optimize director/reflector properties across the band

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:11:22 PM »

No need for a tank - a single cap will do the trick with the right length of stub. I trimmed the stubs on my 2-element delta loop array. 20/20 hindsight, I should have made the stubs longer (about 3/8 WL, IIRC) and used a cap to tweak the F/B for maximum. Live and learn.  Smiley
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »

Thanks, Steve. I just wondered about driving both elements.  I had very good luck with the too-darned-low phased dipoles but I'll go for the a plain (!) Moxon which will be challenging enough.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »

So why not the phased dipoles again? Different location? Not enough room?

If a Moxon is in your plans, go with the symmetrical one and get two directions. One example at the link.

http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/w8egb/w8egb_reverse.htm
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 01:33:00 AM »

So why not the phased dipoles again? Different location? Not enough room?

If a Moxon is in your plans, go with the symmetrical one and get two directions. One example at the link.

http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/w8egb/w8egb_reverse.htm
Yes, not enough room, and what the heck, something to fool around with
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:12:02 AM »

Good luck with it. I would be interested in your results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015