The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:47:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ-129 mechanical noise  (Read 6093 times)
K9DXL

« on: April 23, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »

I just finished re-capping my HQ-129X receiver, and gave it its first real test on the nets this morning.  The radio was on for about three hours and worked quite well!  But... about two or three minutes after I turned it off, I heard a metallic "shudder" sound that rattled the cabinet a little bit.  Here's my guess:  in addition to the power transformer, there are two fairly substantial chokes in the power supply.  I'm thinking that during operation, these components gradually warmed up (of course), but when power was turned off, the metal frame or windings on one or more of these guys contracted, causing the noise.  Has anyone else experienced this, and is it something I should worry about?

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »

Did you switch to unleaded solder?  I had a 1975 Ford Mustang II that used to do this.  Smiley 

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:24:55 PM »

That's a mouse jumping around in the cabinet. They bounce all over the place inside a hot boatanchor when they get burned off tubes or shocked etc. I'm not joking, it has happened to me more than once. The mice in question are dead now.
KA2DZT

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:48:37 PM »

My guess it's some distortion in the cabinet that changes shape with the cooling off.  May also make some noise with the heating up but may go unheard with the receiver being on.

Fred
KA2DZT

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:24:28 AM »

That's a mouse jumping around in the cabinet. They bounce all over the place inside a hot boatanchor when they get burned off tubes or shocked etc. I'm not joking, it has happened to me more than once. The mice in question are dead now.

Yes,  but Chris you didn't mention just how the mice meet their demise.

Fred
K9DXL

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:00:34 AM »

No critters were injured or even involved.   This morning I turned the receiver on for the first time since the "incident".
Fuse blew after about three seconds.  I don't have time to look further today, but will report back when I find something.  At this point, fearing the worst!

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »

Awww.  Sound like that 'shudder' was really the 'Death Rattle" of a transformer.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »

Rodent version of Dante's Inferno..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »

I'll go with the cabinet contracting on cool down. My microwave does the same thing after about a 30 minute cooking period and things get pretty heated up. It makes more of a bonk than a shudder, different cabinet but the same thing. I like the mouse theory, those little buggers get into everything!

* Why Printers Fail.jpg (30.76 KB, 605x372 - viewed 492 times.)

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
K9DXL

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »

I do believe now that it's a transformer problem.  Turned it on today for the first time and fuse blew after about 3 sec.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015