The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:02:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another boat anchor part ceases production  (Read 3775 times)
WO4K
Contributing

« on: February 16, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »

A few weeks ago I ordered a few Mouser Part # 502-44. This is the Switchcraft #44 adapter for converting a Switchcraft 2501F mic connector into a 1/4" male phone plug. The part was on back-order. This morning I was notified by Mouser that the part was deemed "End of Life Cycle - scheduled for obsolescence and will be discontinued by the manufacturer." One has to wonder when Switchcraft will deem the 2501F and 2501MP obsolete as well. Another ubiquitous boat anchor part no longer available (except perhaps at a premium price on eBay or perhaps a Chinese manufacturer will pick it up). I guess I will now order enough of the 2501F and 2501MP to last the rest of my active hobby life.

Frank W4FLN

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/44/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiV3fTUvSc3cBdWapoZy2fGcI%3d

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:31:49 AM »

I don't think I've ever used one. Neat adapter, but I've always just cut a cable and installed the latest connector of choice.  Up-side is one less set of contact surfaces to complicate an issue.  Seems like every adapter I've used sooner or later looses contact, particularly stereo gimmes.  Down-side is my mike, etc. cables keep getting shorter.   Grin

Seriously, if you do buy a lifetime supply, then you can be one of the eBay suppliers.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »

I've never used one either although my plug junk box, once upon a time, had several. The Japanese version abounded the market back in the 70's and 80's. Still see them at hamfests. Ken's Electronics still lists the Switchcraft 44HH  for $5 each. The boatanchor world will not end if production goes to zero.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »

Yes, it definitely won't be the end of boatanchor life as we know it. Just thinking the 2501F and 2501MP may be next. Now those I would miss. I use this adapter to test Hi-Z mics in a cheap, entry-level 60's-era Kalamazoo Model 2 guitar amp. It's a little 4 tube amp with a 10 inch speaker, the kind of cheap amp teenagers learning to play guitar would find under the Christmas tree in 1966. Funny story: I bought the guitar amp at a local hamfest for $25 just for the purpose of testing mics. It was in remarkably good shape, but had a 60 Hz hum, so I googled to get a copy of the schematic. Found out from that search that 1) the hum came from the Gibson factory due to a 20-20-10 mfd filter cap (replaced that with larger electrolytics: no more hum) and 2) it is today very, very popular with professional musicians as a harmonica mic amp. The darn things sell for $300 or more on harmonica mic sales web sites and eBay. So I picked up a working Astatic JT-30 (now the go-to harp mic) at Hamcation last weekend and will sell it as a package to a harp player on the aforementioned auction website. Moral: sometimes even a blind pig finds an acorn.

Frank W4FLN

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:55:23 PM »

Gee.  I was going to replace my "belly-button" mic connector with a 1/4" jack.  On second thought if I leave it in my V1 maybe the value of the transmitter would increase significantly. 

I'm sure eBay sellers will be happy to supply an adapter a 3X normal price

Grin  Grin
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 11:13:15 PM »

Rest in peace, well-honored Switchcraft part.

I am sure this will come back in some form from a repro manufacturer and we can hope for a nice nickel plated brass part or something.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015