The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:29:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL HAS A NEW CEO  (Read 9675 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 26, 2016, 04:13:49 PM »

From ARRL web site dated, 1/26/16:

Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, of West Palm Beach, Florida, will succeed David Sumner, K1ZZ, as the chief executive officer of ARRL, effective April 18. In that role, he will oversee all activities at ARRL Headquarters in Newington, Connecticut. Meeting in a special webinar session on January 25, all 15 ARRL Directors voted to elect Gallagher as CEO and Secretary, positions that Sumner will relinquish on April 18. Gallagher will join the ARRL staff as CEO-Elect on February 29, and a transition period will follow...

...He joins ARRL following 3 decades as an international investment banker and financial services executive. His career has included senior leadership positions with JP Morgan Chase & Co and CIBC Oppenheimer & Co in New York, and with Wachovia Capital Markets in Charlotte, North Carolina. He has also served as an adjunct professor at the Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University and as CEO of the Secondary School Admission Test Board in Princeton, New Jersey. Gallagher has served on boards, both public and non-profit, including two NYSE companies, the NPR affiliate in Charlotte, the Executive Board of The PENN Fund at the University of Pennsylvania, and The International Center of Photography.

Gallagher graduated magna cum laude with a BA from the University of Pennsylvania, and he holds an MBA from The Wharton School. He is a graduate of The Lawrenceville School, where he held the Nicholas Noyes scholarship...

Complete story is here: http://www.arrl.org/news/tom-gallagher-ny2rf-will-succeed-david-sumner-k1zz-as-arrl-ceo

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »

Wow.  The league is lucky to find someone with credentials like this.  An MBA from Wharton to boot.

With his stellar work background, hope he doesn't get bored working at the league.

They certainly need some financial guidance and he may be the one to do it.

(The move from sunny, exclusive West Palm Beach, FL to Hartford should be sporting)    Wink

Good luck to him.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:49:32 AM »

Yep. Great education and finance cred.  But he also brings to the party connections to Wall Street, and thence to Congress and the FCC. No doubt he will boost ARRL's standing in those halls and offices. This will be interesting to watch over the next few years.

Frank W4FLN

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »

Yep.  

With his financial connections and experience, I'd like to see him float some bonds and build a new ARRL world-class headquarters. That old building is crowded and outdated.

And, take the league's net worth from an unsteady < $10 million and prone to stock market corrections - into a solid $100 million ++ non-profit corp.   Apply for government grants, do major fund raising, better marketing, etc.  If every licensed ham (700,000) donated only $150 each to the league, they would have over $100 million, right?  

Remember that the ARRL is a 100 year old organization that should probably be worth upwards of $500 million to 1 billion by now.  With that kind of money behind them, they could do wondrous things for ham radio.

Compare league current balance sheets to other non-profits, even some new ones - and there is no contest.

This guy could be the best thing that ever happened in Newington if he plays the game as his excellent experience allows.

It will be interesting to see the changes 5-10 years from now.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015