The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:24:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80m DogLeg v 160m eL  (Read 1666 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: November 08, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »

80m seems to be going long again this year, so I'm thinking of 160m.

I plan to straighten out my 80m dogleg dipole (the one with the 40m inverted U attached) and raise one end up to 50 feet.    Due to the lateness of the season, along with my natural entropy, I have another minor problem. I want to put up a 160m inverted eL.

The minor part of my problem – I'll be using the coax feed for the current dogleg dipole to feed the eL.  A bit of DC, a choke and outside some relays in a box, and switching will be no problem.

The vertical part of the eL is only going to be around 30 feet up, and the horizontal part of the eL is being tied off around 140 feet away, probably around 65 feet up the tree. The minor, minor problem, is the 80m dogleg feed line. It will be around 25 feet from the eL. Being that they are both vertical, I’ll need to try to decouple the dipole feed line from the eL......

I know this set up is not too nice, I know I need a nice radial field, I know the lizard wants to make me buy his insurance. Next year or so, I'll relocate some of the ants and separate things out. But for now I'm open for suggestions, primarily anecdotal ones, like watt others have done. The winter is coming, the cats have no shoes, and I could use some insight.

klc

BTW, T. Tron suggested I try using the 160m eL on 80m; I've an extra relay and a vari cap to add to my switchbox.

What? Me worry?
N9axl
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »

Now, in my case I have a 40 meter dipole.  I have a very small yard with obstructions so I attached a 75 foot wire to one side of the dipole and ran it in an "L" shape -- and it ends up wrapped around a tree for support and run everything through a tuner -- all of this with the center about 15 feet.  It loads on 80 but I don't have a balun and am not sure I need one.   In any event if that works I would think what you are proposing would work, especially if you have a large tuner. I have a Dentron tuner and it seems to all work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015