The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:10:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halli SX-130 alignment puzzle..  (Read 4169 times)
wb1ead
Contributing

« on: July 30, 2015, 01:34:39 PM »

Hello all..in the middle of doin' a re-alignment on this one..ran into puzzling instructions on page 10 of manual on the bottom..on band 4 the 12-31mhz area..it says using a sig generator adjust L-1 then L-7 while tweaking the ant trim cap..problem is that this L-7 coil does not have or even ever had a slug..this coil is listed in the parts as L-7/8..an antenna coil for band 4..coils L-6 or L-5 have none either and they are antenna coils for other bands..I really think they meant to say L-9 for this adjustment but ya know what?..I'll wait on another opinion to agree or not here..it's most likely a "typo"
                                         Thank you thank you for any input..I can wait..no hurry here..too damn hot!!  73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »

If L9 has an adjustment slug, there's one way to find out, try adjusting it and see if anything changes.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »

Hallicrafters often made design changes between production runs.   Check your chassis for run identifying marks, and search for schematics for different runs.

It may be worth contacting vendors like www.manualman.com and www.vintagemanuals.com to see if they have schematics for different runs.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »

Hello all..in the middle of doin' a re-alignment on this one..ran into puzzling instructions on page 10 of manual on the bottom..on band 4 the 12-31mhz area..it says using a sig generator adjust L-1 then L-7 while tweaking the ant trim cap..problem is that this L-7 coil does not have or even ever had a slug..this coil is listed in the parts as L-7/8..an antenna coil for band 4..coils L-6 or L-5 have none either and they are antenna coils for other bands..I really think they meant to say L-9 for this adjustment but ya know what?..I'll wait on another opinion to agree or not here..it's most likely a "typo"
                                         Thank you thank you for any input..I can wait..no hurry here..too damn hot!!  73 de DAVE

As far as I know, Hallicrafters never issued a service bulletin for the SX-130 but at reviewing both the S-129 and SX-130 schematics and tracing the bandswitch contact connections to the specific LC components, here's what I found:

In the alignment table:
(SHOULD BE) Step 8 - Signal Generator Frequency 14 MC. Band Selector-4 Tuning - 14 MC - Adjust L1 (Osc. coil), Adjust L9 (mix. coil), C13 (ANT TRIM)

The original designation L7 (mix. coil) is incorrect.
The parts list is correct.

Further, while checking the S-129 documentation, there is also an error in their alignment table (different then the above error) and there is a designation error in Figure 11 of the same S-129 document.

Note that the S-129 is the same as the SX-130 less the "S" meter and crystal filter.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 10:00:46 AM »

Hey all..mucho tnx for the second opinions!..I figured it was a "typo" since L-7 wud never hold a slug anyway..and of course L-9 is connected to L-1 etc etc..I will continue on but I'm noting there is indeed another error/typo concerning step 4 on page 10..it says to adjust L-3 and then L-13..L-13 is a choke so it shudda said C-13 to go along with all the other steps in alignment
                AGN TNX!             73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »

...but I'm noting there is indeed another error/typo concerning step 4 on page 10..it says to adjust L-3 and then L-13..L-13 is a choke so it shudda said C-13 to go along with all the other steps in alignment
                AGN TNX!             73 de DAVE

Yep, sorry. I found that one too but failed to post it. The same Step 4 in the S-129 manual is correct.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015