The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 02:58:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally talked to the east coast with my homebrew setup  (Read 1691 times)
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« on: July 26, 2015, 11:25:12 PM »

I had a good QSO with non other than Steve WA1QIX tonight on 40 meters.  It was a little rough with lightning crashes, AM broadcast, slop-buckets and other CQ callers, but we made it after QSY-ing a couple times.  I'm just happy that this stuff I threw together actually works and is able to communicate coast-to-coast from Arizona.

Also, lo-and-behold, my single FET rig is class D and not class C.  Big difference. 

Anyway, good chat.  Looking forward to winter time when things quiet down a little bit. 

Jon
KA1TDQ

It’s not just values, it’s business.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »

Great chat!  Conditions improved with time as we talked.  Finally found a clear frequency, and we were able to carry on for quite while.

Good sigs on 40 tonight.  Heard some folks who were 30 to 40 over s9, and I don't hear that too often on 40 meters.

Using the SiC rig with the 900V devices.  Solved at least one problem - insufficient gate drive voltage for the current I was pulling on high positive peaks.

Unlike a standard MOSFET, the SiC devices do not saturate.  If you look at the transfer characteristics, they are rather different from a normal MOSFET.  The upshot of all this is - as much gate driving voltage as possible is needed if you want to run at the full current capability of the SiC device(s).

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015