The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:53:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Approves Same Sex Cable Connections  (Read 6699 times)
N0WEK
Contributing

« on: June 29, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In a move being touted by proponents as “ground breaking” and by critics as “the end of the world,” the Federal Communications Commission has announced approval of same sex cable connections.

http://hamhijinks.com/fcc-approves-same-sex-cable-connections/

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »

It's a good thing for all of us that this is finally approved by the higher authority (FCC).  Now we can use our test instruments and cables without any fear or guilt.  General Radio and Hewlett Packard have been doing this since the beginning.  

GR started, and HP followed, with the 3/4 inch spaced banana jack/plug, which should probably be looked at as bi-sexual, not same sex, because it can be either a male or female depending upon how it is connected.  

Then later on came the GPIB/HPIB connector, which can be stacked so as to be compatible with either male or female.  

But the original connector that comes to mind is the early General Radio coaxial connector used on their early instruments, which can be considered either male or female, or neither.  They just plug together and maintain an impedance match, no consideration whether it is male or female.  Does anyone remember this connector?  If not, I will share a photograph.  Hint: it is commonly used for the input (generator) and output (detector), but not the unknown connector, on the GR 1606-A bridge.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »

Can't we all just get along? We should remove ourselves from all of this sexist nomenclature, and move to a higher plane.

Barrier Strips.

Just use Barrier Strips.

Now I feel better.

klc

What? Me worry?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »

Barrier strip.   Like Brooke Shields,  just sounds like an anti sexual device .

--Shane
 KD6VXI
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »

This will end up as a 5 to 4 decision in the Supreme Court......
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:24:59 PM »

Can't we all just get along? We should remove ourselves from all of this sexist nomenclature, and move to a higher plane.

Barrier Strips.

Just use Barrier Strips.

Now I feel better.

klc

YES! I agree with Kevin.  I like barrier strips too.  My last transmitter project used them profusely.  So flexible.  Any wire can be mated with any terminal.  No longer locked in with the same old connection.  Barrier strips have been around for a long long time, but they fit in very well with today's desire to experiment.  Kudos Kevin!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »

When hooking up your DX35 to the dipole via 1/2 inch spaced barrier strips, use adjacent posts for 50 to 75 ohms; use alternate posts for 300 to 450 ohms and use every third for 600 ohms. Don't forget to keep the intermediate posts empty.

Barrier strips are handy for product detector diode and bridge mounting circuits too. You can see where your crossovers are.    Grin. Many experimental lash ups are possible up into the lower VHF without having to solder and unsolder new components.

Teaching electronic fundamentals is fun with barrier strips too.

And yeah I remember the General Radio hermaphrotite  connectors in E lab some years ago.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »

Real troubleshooters use wire wrap connections backed up with acid core solder -  to stay in practice.

* Acid Core Solder.jpg (53.21 KB, 600x450 - viewed 424 times.)

* wire wrap.jpg (893.04 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 453 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 09:07:47 PM »

Wet the tip.

* iron.jpg (30.07 KB, 800x402 - viewed 369 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:34:47 PM »

PHRASING! Boom!

* hello.jpg (46.46 KB, 500x375 - viewed 349 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »

Fellow skier not happy with your work Tom.  Um, did I guess wrong Steve?

[/...connections backed up with acid core solder -  to stay in practice.quote] Grin

Tell me that's not your work where you splattered everything around ground zero trying to remove
the grounds from all those clip mounted electrolytics .  Every other joint around looks well whetted. Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »

Nah. A joke for those who watch Archer.
W4DNR

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »

My  neighbor who has been married for fifty years said that this same sex thing ain't nothing new.  He said his wife won't try anything new.     Shocked

Don W4DNR

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »

The GR connectors are great, if you have a bunch of them. The contact sizes are decent. What is the voltage and current rating on them? My first introduction to them was in a network analyzer the Rohde and Schwarz Polyskop II. It may be old but it has silver plated chassis and a 9" display with analog refreshment. That unit went to 1200MHz, so those connectors must be pretty good.

* polyskop_II.jpg (283.27 KB, 1150x1025 - viewed 366 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015