The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:50:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Radials Needed  (Read 2172 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »

A good Ham friend of mine, who has been SK, told me that if you string a 240 long wire vertically that you would not need a counterpoise at the base. 240 feet being a full wavelength???
Any truth to that??

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »

Funny how this comes up every once-in-a-while.

Even a center-fed Franklin betters by having radials.

One thing is certain, at 240' it will need an obstruction beacon, sidelights, and an FAA registration number.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »

A good Ham friend of mine, who has been SK, told me that if you string a 240 long wire vertically that you would not need a counterpoise at the base. 240 feet being a full wavelength???
Any truth to that??

Fred

Same thing is true at a half wavelength  You can save 120ft of wire
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

Half wave inverted L is also a high impedance antenna, you can get by with less radials than a 1/4 wave vertical or L, but you should use at least a few.  The GRC-9 field sets were designed to be capable of matching a nominal 1/2 wave random wire and work against a small set of counterpoise wires. The field antenna kit for the 9 was basically a set of wires with jumpers that were set up to approximate a half wave on the operating frequency, throw it up in the trees and away you go.  I have used a 1/2 wave wire with mine along with a couple of 1/4 wave radials and it played quite well on 40, worked all over EU on CW from out in the woods with that lash up.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »

Vertically polarized antennas near the Earth have two kinds of losses associated with them:

1. Resistive ground losses when the Earth itself is part of the return circuit for antenna currents. These can be minimized by using long, higher radiation resistance elements or by having elevated radials instead of ground-level radials, or by having a large number of radials, or any of these combined. Contrary to the title of this thread, there is always some advantage in having a return-current set of radials or counterpoise -- though it can be quite simple: my 150-foot inverted L uses two opposed 50-foot radials elevated 8 feet above the ground and works very well.

2. Ground wave losses. These are not really losses, but might as well be as far as ionospheric propagation is concerned. There's no way to avoid these, since part of every vertically-polarized wave travels along the surface of the Earth, which is to some extent a conductor. These ground waves follow the curvature of the Earth and never reach the ionosphere. They are the basis of longwave and mediumwave regional daytime coverage.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015